Replace a Shower Surround

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

joedoc973

Replace a Shower Surround

Post by joedoc973 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:29 am

I recently purchaced a 1985 Double wide in Fla because Im disabled and make VERY little money but am very handy with tools. The woman I purchased it from has completely redone the inside except for the back bathroom. I unfortunatlly cant afford to replace the tub but the surround has to go, it is cracked and has mold and is soft in spots. I know I have to replace the 1/8 plywood (unbelievable) with Blue/Green Board or can I use 1/4 Hardy board to make it water proof ? Or is there any other product that you can recommend ( on the cheap } to use behind the surround...any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated...joedoc973

Mommaof5

Re: Replace a Shower Surround

Post by Mommaof5 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I just finished putting in a whole new bath in my home, so I am going to try and help you as best as I can. We put the green (water resistant) sheet rock up, then used a shower surround from Lowes that you glue up. They are easily affordable and simple enough that I put ours up by myself. There are videos on Youtube.com that will walk you through it step by step. You simply have to use the adhesive and smear it out with a trowel or putty knife, and after you have your pieces up caulk around all the seams and where it meets the tub. Even with all my kids home I completed mine in a day and it looks pretty good.
I put a similar set up in another home I used to live in and it was still doing well when I last checked. It has been used now for 15 years and still looks good.