Replace a Shower Surround

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Replace a Shower Surround

Post by joedoc973 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:29 am

I recently purchaced a 1985 Double wide in Fla because Im disabled and make VERY little money but am very handy with tools. The woman I purchased it from has completely redone the inside except for the back bathroom. I unfortunatlly cant afford to replace the tub but the surround has to go, it is cracked and has mold and is soft in spots. I know I have to replace the 1/8 plywood (unbelievable) with Blue/Green Board or can I use 1/4 Hardy board to make it water proof ? Or is there any other product that you can recommend ( on the cheap } to use behind the surround...any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated...joedoc973

Re: Replace a Shower Surround

Post by Mommaof5 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I just finished putting in a whole new bath in my home, so I am going to try and help you as best as I can. We put the green (water resistant) sheet rock up, then used a shower surround from Lowes that you glue up. They are easily affordable and simple enough that I put ours up by myself. There are videos on that will walk you through it step by step. You simply have to use the adhesive and smear it out with a trowel or putty knife, and after you have your pieces up caulk around all the seams and where it meets the tub. Even with all my kids home I completed mine in a day and it looks pretty good.
I put a similar set up in another home I used to live in and it was still doing well when I last checked. It has been used now for 15 years and still looks good.