Mobile home Snow Load Requirement

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

ametaphor4u

Mobile home Snow Load Requirement

Post by ametaphor4u » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:50 am

So I have property in that I am trying to move to asap (corporate america is sucking the life out of me). Already have septic and water. I'm looking to move a used older singlewide mobile home on it to live in until we decide what to build. We will more than likely keep it on the property and renovate it. Not alot of funds for this. The County has a snow load requirement of 50 lbs/sf. (with a state structural engineer to sign off on the permit stating it meets the snow load requirement) Most mobiles do not have a snow load that high. I do not want to spend 5K+ for a roof over pole structure to go over the entire singlewide, its not pretty. What are my options? Do I have any? is there anyway to look up a mobile home serial number to check the snow load if we find one we want to purchase, or do we need to hire an engineer to look at the roof? are there plans out there to put a new snow roof on a mobile without hiring someone? Has anyone done this? Any advice would be helpful. thanks!

As an example, I found the below single wide that looks like it has a snow roof on it but the owner doesn't know the load. It looks like it would hold 50lbs/sf...link below

https://spokane.craigslist.org/for/4895620590.html