how to paint manufactured wallpapered sheetrock

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

lil

how to paint manufactured wallpapered sheetrock

Post by lil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

I have a 2000 mobile home that has sheet rock with a wallpaper over it. not sure what it is called but you can wash it. my question is I painted over this in my kitchen and bathroom and now it is peeling off if you touch it. please someone help in telling me what I can do to prevent this. I would love to just paint something over the existing new paint if I could. also going to paint the rest of my house but need to know what to do before I start them. please help

David Oxhandler

Re: how to paint manufactured wallpapered sheetrock

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 am

The wall panels are pre-papered sheet-rock. Many of the better builders used a vinyl covered paper to protect the wall panels form moisture and make them easy to wash.

The thin vinyl layer is too slick for paint to stick to it. Use a light grade of sand paper to "rough-up" the wall faces you want to paint. When painting any walls the first time it is critical to use a good grade of primer.

If you really want a modern look, you can upgrade your walls to look exactly like a new conventionaly built home. Remove the trim battens between the panels. After the "rough up", tape and mud the seams. Then texture the walls as you would when you install new sheet-rock in a conventional home. The results will not only be dramatic, but add greatly to the value of your home.

If you are going to renovate your manufactured home download The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade With "The Manual" next to your tool box you will ready with the answers to any renovation practices specific to manufactured homes.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]