1963 Marlette Mobile Home Questions

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Ladycompugeek

1963 Marlette Mobile Home Questions

Post by Ladycompugeek » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:46 am

Hi,
I just bought a 1963 Marlette Mobile Home.. This is the first home I've ever owned and I am new to EVERYTHING...

A new metal roof was put on last year, but it looks as though most of the ceiling on the inside has water damage and will need replacement. I will probably want to put in new Insulation whilst doing that.. But what should I go with as a material to replace the old ceiling panels that will be light enough??? I think sheetrock will be too heavy...

Also, does anyone know if a mobile home this old has a fuse/breaker box? I can't seem to find one inside the home anywhere, and at the pole outside I only have 1 switch... Not sure if the entire house is on the same circuit or not..

And this house has a gas furnace but I wasn't able to get the fan to turn on when I flipped the switch from Auto to Manual/On on the thermostat.. not sure if I'm missing something or what..

Wish I could find an old owner's manual for this thing or something.. That'd be a start...

I will have a few home maintenance minded friends come by to take a look at it for me but I am really feeling overwhelmed.. I'm just not home maintenance savvy...

Thanks,
Wendy
Pullman, WA

admin

Re: 1963 Marlette Mobile Home Questions

Post by admin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:32 am

It is difficult (at best) to find good documentation about homes that were built prior to the adoption of the federal HUD code that regulates manufactured housing construction. Back then regulation was on a state by state basis if it existed at all. Some of the homes built prior to the code were not very sturdy, Yet others were built with steel trusses and wall frames, like over the road machines and were made to last forever and take beating as they were dragged around the countryside. It would be wise to get your home repair oriented friends to take a look and make recommendations.

If your looking for a book that covers all facets of manufactured home repair, take a look at The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade

As you would expect from the title, The repair and upgrade techniques described in this manual are specific to manufactured homes. This book will answer almost every question on manufactured home repair that we have ever heard. Not only does this book show you how to repair and maintain your home, but also great methods for upgrading it.

This Book was compiled from the long time experience of contractor, Mark Bower, the owner of Aberdeen Home Repair. For years Mark has been one of the best known hands on men in the manufactured housing industry. Every day the crew of Aberdeen Home Repair is in the field taking care of manufactured home service requests. Whether it's a major roof replacement or a simple broken window crank, Mark has gained a reputation for meticulous, professional workmanship. Mark is also recognized for his manufactured home repair lecture and consulting services. Additionally Mark has participated in Federal Government MH projects sponsored by both HUD and FEMA and he has been called as an expert witness in lawsuits that required a full understanding of the complex systems that make up the modern manufactured home.

Available in print version and now also in e-book version for instant download.
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:08 pm

A building material we use quite often is called Adobe Luan , this is a vinyl wrap veneer. It's very light weight, can be painted/or washable.

deekay

Re: FHA Foundation Inspection

Post by deekay » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 am

I really need help. I am doing a refinance through FHA. The bank just stated that I would have to now have a foundation inspection.
I have already had an FHA appraisal. The home is on a full concrete slab with tie downs, all codes have been met and passed all county inspections.

My question, I have read that the foundation inspection requires that the blocks must be wet stacked, dry stacked will not meet the FHA criteria.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I have been trying for days to get a straight answer. The home is in Washington State, 89 Guerdon

deekay

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:04 pm

"What is most often required when buying a manufactured home with an FHA loan? -There are two types of loans available to purchase a manufactured home through FHA. A Title I loan for a manufactured home requires one of the following: A certification label attached to the home, or A label verification letter. Obtain a label verification letter by visiting the website of the HUD approved contractor, the Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) at http://www.ibts.org/label_req.htm, or at (703) 481-2010.

A Title II loan requires all of the following: A certification label or label verification letter. The placement of the home on a permanent foundation that complies with the Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing (PFGMH). A certification from a licensed professional engineer verifying compliance with the PFGMH. The most common permanent foundation errors delaying the approval of an FHA-insured loan for a manufactured home are: The foundation footings aren't set below the frost line Dry-stacked piers are used instead of required piers with mortared head and bed joints The use of ground anchors - because FHA doesn't accept these as a permanent attachment Any permanent foundation lacking an engineer's certification, even if it complies with all other elements Vinyl skirting used as an enclosure that doesn't meet ALL of the following FHA requirements: Properly enclosed crawl space with a continuous permanent foundation-type construction (similar to a conventionally built foundation, i.e., concrete, masonry or treated wood) Designed to resist all forces without transmitting the building superstructure to movements or effects caused by frost heave, soil settlement, or the shrinking or swelling of expansive soils Adequately secured to the perimeter of the unit to exclude entry of vermin and water Allowance for proper ventilation of the crawl space

To be eligible for FHA insurance, your manufactured (mobile) home must be on an FHA-approved permanent foundation. A registered professional engineer must inspect and certify that the foundation complies with the Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing. The most common errors that may cause a delay are: The foundation footings are not set below the frost line The use of dry-stacked piers are used instead of the required piers with mortared head and bed joints Ground anchors are used, because FHA does not accept these as a permanent attachment Any permanent foundation lacking an engineer's certification, even if it complies with all other elements Vinyl skirting used as an enclosure, that doesn't meet ALL of the following FHA requirements: Properly enclosed crawl space with a continuous permanent foundation-type construction (similar to a conventionally built foundation, i.e., concrete, masonry or treated wood) Designed to resist all forces without transmitting the building superstructure to movements or effects caused by frost heave, soil settlement, or the shrinking or swelling of expansive soils Adequately secured to the perimeter of the unit to exclude entry of vermin and water Allowance for proper ventilation of the crawl space For additional assistance, visit the webpage www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/mhs/mhshome.cfm or email [email protected] or phone (202) 708-6423"

David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:23 pm

Most often an FHA approved engineer must certify the foundation....Most would not pass dry stacked piers..but sure-wall (a stucco like mortar is commonly used to achieve this requirement) will be a lot less costly than a complete reblock..Often the mortgage companies can refer you to an engineer..Or call a local dealer who sells new home and ask for a referral..You want one who does manufactured housing often..You will want to talk to them about the slab...It may or may not satisfy the home's needs..Most will require that all running gear and hitches be removed from the property..Often the steps which must be permanently attached to the ground pose problems...Engineers will charge from $300 to $600 for this service if they are experienced in manufactured homes..You will want to be sure most is right.. re-inspections often cost a complete full fee...

united chick

Post by united chick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Dry stacking is not permitted per HUD guidelines. We are direct FHA lenders, specializing in manufactured financing.

john arendsen

Post by john arendsen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:32 pm

We are the largest, oldest, most experienced and reliable manufactured home foundation retrofit company in the US. We provide engineered certification and foundation retrofit services through out the US. We have done thousands of certs and retrofits since we began in 1986. We are licensed, bonded and insured. Check us out at www.onthelevelcontractors.com or feel free to contact us at [email protected] or 800 909-1110.

Thanks,
John & Janis Arendsen
CEO & Vice-President
ON THE LEVEL GENERAL CONTRACTOR INC.

arendsen

Post by arendsen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:26 am

I'm not sure if you have received info on this so hope it's not a duplication. There are retrofits that have pre-engineered and state certified that can be integrated into your existing understructure. This means you don't have to re-invent the wheel and the retrofits are reasonably priced. It is important that you know ahead of time that a professional engineer will certify the foundation. Generally repair costs can be taken care through the funds of your loan. If you have direct questions, you can certainly contact me on my email: [email protected].