onframe modular

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

asink3

onframe modular

Post by asink3 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:33 am

I've got a property that is supposed to be an on-frame modular but I'm thinking it might be a manufactured home. While is has a modular certificate it also has a serial number 91047a/91047b and a NTA Seal of F2-144129. Does any one know if this says it is infact a manufactured home?

rbonnie

Re: onframe modular

Post by rbonnie » Wed May 31, 2006 1:07 pm

An On-Frame Mod can look similar to a manufactured home. The building code to which it was built is the governing factor. The Modular Certificate gives you that certification. Had it been a manufactured home, it would have a HUD Seal on the outside rear corners of the home. NTA is the third party engineering firm who is certifying its construction.
Roy T. Bonney

searly

Re: onframe modular

Post by searly » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:56 pm

I know this message is old, but I thought that I would reply just in case you needed any more info. My husband and I have an on-frame modular and it is VERY confusing, I have done a tremendous amount of research on the subject trying to find how we can have our home appraised as a modular rather than a manufactured home, so I understand your trouble. If it is a manufactured home (trailer) it will have a red metal plate at one end of the house, it probably is a "double wide" so it should have two of these they will have serial numbers and a HUD seal on them. If it is in fact a true modular then look in the master bedroom closet or another closet or maybe kitchen cabinet in the home. It will have a Modular construction validation stamp from your state as well as a list of certain items in the home and the serial numbers, this paper will also state "Modular Construction" on it. Look for these items and this should give you a good idea. Good luck!!
By the way, as far as financing goes, the banks look at an on-frame modular the same as a manufactured home, they are in fact different and built to different standards, however, they say "if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck..."