Trying to sell a mobile home with no record of VIN at DMV

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

mcbridebr

Trying to sell a mobile home with no record of VIN at DMV

Post by mcbridebr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi,

Home is located in USA - North Carolina. It is a 1983 Norris Singlewide. My mother bought it second hand 15 years ago and she never bothered to get the title switched. The Data Sheet is gone too. So I took the HUD Plate information and went through IBTS.org to get a Home Performance Verification Certificate with the Serial(VIN). I took that to the DMV in NC and they have no record of it at all. Its been sitting there on a rented lot for over 20 years.

I called the DMV and they said that I could get a License and Theft inspector to come out and attempt to verify the VIN as it is possible the VIN from IBTS is incorrect. Only other option I have been told is to go through the bond process to get a title for it.

I also assume the VIN is stamped on the frame near the tongue but I am going to need to take a wire brush to it to scrape away the years or RUST to get down to the steel to see stamped numbers.

I am at my wits end and I dont know what to do. I need to get this thing out from underneath me. Any one here have any ideas on any other options i might have?

HMC

Re: Trying to sell a mobile home with no record of VIN at DMV

Post by HMC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:54 pm

Having the same problem. I did find the serial numbers but they do not match up with any with IBTS. To remove the rust use vinegar and baking soda and acquire brush. Hope you have better luck than I did.