moisture/condensation spots on inside along middle beam of cathedral ceiling

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Fleebag

moisture/condensation spots on inside along middle beam of cathedral ceiling

Post by Fleebag » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Live in Michigan.Have 1985 double-wide. Last fall (after starting to use furnace) noticed many spots of moisture along cathedral ceiling beam and, of course,around bathroom vents.Had roof replaced in 2006 (5 years ago). Wonder what this is from specifically? Called roofing company who put on roof who checked roof on the outside and could see no problems.He felt it was a ventilation problem and because there really is no attic space that theres not much that could be done. There are roof vents and he offered to put in 4 more although he didnt think it would help.Same for ridge vent.I have painted moisture areas with Kilz and paint and feel this has been a problem in the past before I moved in 9 years ago.(noticed evidence of painted areas on ceiling when i started to look closer while painting).
Anyone else experienced this problem and what solutions can you offer? I will be putting it up for sale soon and was hopeing to "inexpensively" rectify the problem. (My husband suggested useing dehumidifer for internal moisture(?) or is this a bigger problem?)
Thanks for any feedback.

David Oxhandler

Re: moisture/condensation spots on inside along middle beam of cathedral ceiling

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Painting over stains on the ceiling is just hiding the problem. You need to find out where the moisture is coming from and stop it. Continuing presents of moisture can lead to growing mold above the ceiling, which could be very dangerous to your family's health.

If the problem is consistent along the center line of the cathedral ceiling you could be looking at a leaking roof. Small amounts of water can get into the roof at any number of points. Ask the roofer to check around the vents and along the center line again. You might want to call a few different roofers and let then give you estimates. To give an estimate they will need to look at the problem and one or more may find a problem that was overlooked before.

If your heat vents are in the ceiling there is a strong possibility that the moisture is coming from condensation. Which could be from a lack of ventilation. If the roofer(s) think there is insufficient ventilation I would install additional vents, it is probably the least expensive first step and may just stop the problem.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

shstuff

Re: moisture/condensation spots on inside along middle beam

Post by shstuff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:18 am

wellllll.....my husband and i bought a mansion home in 1997.
We had to have back half of roof totally replaced within 3 month!!!!
NOW.......in 2015.....we have...2....ceiling leaks!!!!!
Started AFTER ROOF WARRANTY RAN OUT!!!!
HOW CONVENIENT FOR MANSION HOMES.....MANUFACTURED HOUSING ENTERPRISES!!!!

AS much as we paid for this home........it should not have had these problems sssssoooooooooo SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALSO HAD TO HAVE LINOLEUM IN KITCHEN REPLACED.
CCCCCRRRRRRAAAAPPPPPYYYY JOB!!!
ROLLING UP ON THE SIDES...........WHERE IT HITS (FITS) AGAINST CABINETS.
ALSO CANT HARDLY GET MY BACK DOOR OPENED BECAUSE OF THE SAME PROBLEM! SENT PEOPLE FROM OUT OF STATE TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
1 of those gentlemen recommended, to manufacturer, we should have another NEW home sent to us and them get this 1.
YEAH..................THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!

THIS COMPANY IS AWFUL!!!!