My m/h is HOT inside!

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
mbt3000

My m/h is HOT inside!

Post by mbt3000 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Hello. Last August I purchased a 1996 14x70 in a nice park. I live in Jonesboro, Arkansas. It is getting hot this summer. I have to set my a/c on 77,or so, or it will run non-stop. That is not cool enough. I'm just sitting still and I'm sweating. My dad is an HVAC technician and has serviced it too. It puts out good cold air. Don't get me wrong. I like the place as it is my first place of my own. But, I can go over to my parents site built house and it's alot more comfortable. Their a/c does not have to work near as hard to keep it cool. I would hate to move again, but at the same time I am not too happy with my housing choice. I would rather rent an apartment.

David Oxhandler

Re: My m/h is HOT inside!

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:15 am

I had a 70 foot MH that we had the same problem with. Most factory built homes have e a single air return that is engineered to take care of the entire home. There are times when the return is move in the factory to accommodate other options. A second air return can make a world of difference.

Check out the
heating and cooling web section of Mobile Home Repair.com..
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

MobileHomeInspectors.com

Re: My m/h is HOT inside!

Post by MobileHomeInspectors.com » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:32 pm

You may want to consult with a couple of insulation contractors. Added blown in or other insulation in the attic cavity may be part of a solution. Also if you have single pane windows or possible air loss situations like gaps in doors, floors, or other openings these will need to be sealed. A/C ahd heating is a circular system. If the cool air stays inside it goes back through the system and becomes recooled. If the system is working properly the air gets colder and colder to a certain point.
Also adding window covers to the sides of the home that sees the most sun could help.
It may be possible that the vapor barrier on the bottom of the home is open. The floor framing should be stuffed with insulation and closed with some form of vapor barrier. Sometimes plumbers and other repairmen open these areas for repairs and don't close them back up.
Good Luck,
Greg Filian