Hooved Up Flooring

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Gina Wylie

Hooved Up Flooring

Post by Gina Wylie » Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:45 pm

I was just wondering what causes the subfloor to hoove up... There is particle board in the mobile home we purchased. We are looking into resurfacing the floor. Taking out what is bad and matching it up with what is already down.. Then going over the whole thing with 5/8 plywood tongue and groove. Would their be a problem with that???
Peace, Gina

David Oxhandler

Re: Hooved Up Flooring

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:08 pm

We have had a few homes with particle board floors and find that most problems with this type of flooring are traced back to moisture. Overlaying the with plywood will not stop the floor from buckling if it continues to get wet. Before you decide how to replace the damaged flooring you need to find and stop the source of moisture. Check the roof edge, windows and doors near the damaged floor. Get under the home and open the "belly board" (plastic barrier). Look for signs of dampness. Most of the time you will find a minor problem, that will be lot less expensive to repair that the continuing floor problem. You can get an instructional video on how to repair floors from our book store by CLICKING HEREFloor Repair Info Kit from Aberdeen RepairThis kit includes a 25 minute VHS video about floor repair, and a booklet on floor repair.Price:$25.95 .... Shipping & Handling:$3.90 If your expecting a high-dollar video with actors that wear makeup and every word smoothly rehearsed, these videos aren't for you. However, if your expecting a good-quality video that features a real contractor clearly showing you how to do the job, then these videos are for you. ORDER ON LINE HERE

webmaster

Eburnett24

Post by Eburnett24 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:14 am

Gina Wylie wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:45 pm I was just wondering what causes the subfloor to hoove up... There is particle board in the mobile home we purchased. We are looking into resurfacing the floor. Taking out what is bad and matching it up with what is already down.. Then going over the whole thing with 5/8 plywood tongue and groove. Would their be a problem with that???
Peace, Gina
I’m having this same issue, with hat did you find out?

Eburnett24

Post by Eburnett24 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 am

We are having this same issue in Central Tx only lived here 4 years!
What did you find out about the moisture issue?

rebar

Post by rebar » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:39 pm

I'm only going to guess that these particle floor board heaving issues stem from excessive moisture coming from the soil and concrete. And then trapped with a non-permeable floor covering..

Is the skirting on these mobile homes well ventilated? Was a non-permeable floor covering like rolled vinyl used?