is there anything I can build onto my mobile to make it considered a stick built

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
snllarge

is there anything I can build onto my mobile to make it considered a stick built

Post by snllarge » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:52 pm

I have a 1973 golden west in great shape. I would like to know if I can add on and make it into a stick built for refinancing.

rmurray

Re: is there anything I can build onto my mobile to make it considered a stick built

Post by rmurray » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:22 pm

To keep it short...Nothing... It was born as a manufactured home..it will always be a manufactured home..

Sylvia

Re: is there anything I can build onto my mobile to make it considered a stick built

Post by Sylvia » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:01 am

Even if you did add a foundation and attach it to it to get the bank to be ok to consider it a stick it would cost more than you could get into a regular stick or nice mobile for probably.

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:24 am

Well we bought a double wide on land two and a half years ago for 36k we have dumped in countless amounts of money between then and now and we have another 36k loan to add the basement (unfinished) it's out of our pocket to make it finished.

The process has cost more than I could have and have since bought a stick home for. That's my point.

It's very difficult and very expensive to make a mobile home into a stick. It's a lot of hassle as well. Life would have been simpler to start with a stick but what's done is done and we have home we love (almost) we can't quite figure out where we're putting the stairs down TO the basement yet. (we should have hired an engineer)

Christyn

Post by Christyn » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:54 am

I have been round and round with this subject. The first reply is correct. If you have HUD tags on your home and it was brought in on wheels it will forever be a manufactured home. Mine even states so on my title report

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:40 am

Ours isn't considered to be so by the bank or the appraiser. Only at this time by the county assessor, which I think is a good thing. If we retire the title to it it would be considered a "regular" house. Our property taxes would go up 60% though.

mccoyae

Post by mccoyae » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 am

Sylvia:
Are you renewing your license plate for the home each year? We have not retired the title but have not received a license plate renewal notice either since the house was put in. The house is five years old now.

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Never have had a license plate.

mst57

Post by mst57 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:04 pm

Trade it in and get a new one on land. That's your best bet.

cleversmith

Post by cleversmith » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:41 am

I purchased a single wide trailer, with two additions. My husband and I have started a family and space is becoming an issue. Is it possible to add a basement to the existing trailer?