Gold Medal? Or Fleetwood?

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Mr. Mom

Gold Medal? Or Fleetwood?

Post by Mr. Mom » Thu Sep 21, 2000 2:38 am

We're looking for a home in South Carolina, and have seen both Gold Medal and Fleetwood Homes. Thet seem very similar in construction, and offer many of the same amenities, quality materials, and what appears in their websites to be good building techniques. However neither mentions what techniques are used to join the walls, or the spaces between the outriggers and or what type of covering is placed on the subroof, or have I misread the construction features. Really need to move soon, and any information would be valuable. Which one is better.
Construction? Then, Value for my Bucks?

Jon DeTora

RE: Gold Medal? Or Fleetwood?

Post by Jon DeTora » Thu Sep 21, 2000 5:30 pm

Mr. Mom:
How much quality do you want to buy? That is the real question. From my perspective both homes are about the same in quality.
But this is a decision you need to make for yourself. My advise is to approach the retailer selling each home and request the information you seek. Most manufacturers have specification lists that should answer your questions. If not, ask the retailer to get it from the engineering department of the home manufacturer, then compare.
Good luck.

LARRY HASWELL

Post by LARRY HASWELL » Sat Oct 21, 2000 1:53 pm

DO NOT BUY A FLEETWOOD HOME THEY ARE BEING SUED IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT FOR SHODDY WORKMANSHIP AND NOT HONORING THEIR WARRANTIES. I KNOW BECAUSE I BOUGHT A FLEETWOOD HOME AND I AM INVOLVED IN THE CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THEM. SO IF YOU NEED ANY INFO EMAIL OK ? GOOD LUCK.
LARRY HASWELL
CANTON,N.C.
P.S. FILE WITH THE BBB ABOUT THEM TO. AND ANY SITES THAT OFFER COMPLAINTS I DID.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Oct 31, 2000 1:04 pm

Mr. Mom, Stay out of Fleetwood they have been building homes in mass production and don't really pay attention to detail I heard so many bad stories about Fleetwood Americas number ONE TRASH! Go with another company who pays attention to the contruction and the details of the homes and isn't building in mass production like Fleetwood homes.

Julie Kilgore

Post by Julie Kilgore » Thu Apr 05, 2001 1:00 am

I am interested in this lawsuit. We made the mistake of buying a $64,000.00 Fleetwood in 1998. From day one we have had many problems with roof leaks,etc. Now the marriage line of our trailer has completely split open and our electricity bills have been sky high! We just recently made the retailer relevel our home and even up all of our trim but they are stalling on the removal of the mold and mildew that we have growing on our walls and ceilings. The retailer had Fleetwood come to our home and do an inspection on March 16th and I made the retailer fax the report to me. The report claimed that all of our anchors are loose and are installed improperly by the set-up crew that originally put our home together. The retailer is the one who hired this setup crew from a company called "Coastal". I the meantime, I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old that has seen a pediatrician on a monthly basis for allergies contributed to the mold and mildew in our home. The retailer in Channelview,Texas does not care. They say we have to wait for their request for Fleetwood to come back to my home and inspect the inside of my home that was never done to begin with!Thefirst inspection was done only to the underneath.So, now, I have contacted HUD but I have recieved no reply. It was accidently slipped to me by an employee of the retailer that my home and 9 others came from the same plant and we were all having the same problems so A-1 Mobile Homes wants Fleetwood to say that our homes are defecive so that A-1 will not have to take responsibility for any more repairs. A-1 refuses to do any more work to my home until Fleetwood gives in and says my home is defective because A-1 does not want to take responsibility for the damage. A-1 also does not sell Fleetwood Homes anymore. And if you call and act interested in buying a Fleetwood home from them they will tell you how bad Fleetwood homes are! I know this because I had someone call to get info on Fleetwood homesand was told this by an employee! I also found out that all 1998 models of Fleetwood homes coming from this plant did not pass HUD requirements this year but I can't get anyone from the Houston area Hud to return my phone calls to confirm this! We cannot afford a lawyer to demand action be taken on our home because we just had a baby and our monthly payments plus insurance make it impossible to afford one. I have no way of contacting anyone in my area who is having this same problem because I do not know who these people are. I have thought about placing an ad in our local newspaper asking anyone who purchased a 1998 Fleetwood in the Houston area to contact me. I only have this idea left so that I can hear other stories and try to get together a law suit. Any suggestions?Please contact me with info: [email protected]