Where do I start?

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Dave Holeman

Where do I start?

Post by Dave Holeman » Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:09 pm

Hello....My wife and I own a home in Nashville, TN and want to relocate in a couple of years to the Traverse City, Michigan area....where we'd like to purchase an acre or two of land and a doublewide. We'd also like to put this doublewide over a basement to essentially double our living space square footage. Does anyone have an idea of who I would contact or where I would begin for a quality manufactured home in Michigan. And also...Is it a good idea to place a manufactured home over a basement (how much could a venture like that cost?).
Thanks for any help!!
Dave

jazz

RE: Where do I start?

Post by jazz » Fri Sep 22, 2000 12:12 am

Hi Dave. We are going to put a manufactured home over a basement soon, so it can be done. We have started planning our home with the dealer and they have contacted the manufacturer. They said it can only be so big. I think under 65-66 ft. or so. We have 3 kids so we need a lot of room. We have to be willing to give something up somewhere. We also plan on adding a third section which is 14x28 ft. in size. It'll be nicer than most stick built houses we've seen and the price can't be beat. Modulars are quite a bit more expensive for the house you get in return compared to a manufactured. My mother got a modular this last summer and hers will be 1/2 the house as ours in size. She paid around 70. We'll pay around 80. Basements vary depending on size you need or want. We have found that you might as well put a whole basement rather than a partial for the price you pay. Don't forget all of the others things you pay for like garage, garage pad, driveway, plumber, electrician, excavators, sidewalks(?), lot, etc. Our total cost will be somewhere around 120-130. Hope this has helped!

jazz

Post by jazz » Fri Sep 22, 2000 12:14 am

I forgot...We are from Iowa. I don't know who to contact in Michigan but we are getting a house through a manufacturer called Highland.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Fri Oct 13, 2000 10:22 pm

Dutch Housing, a manufacturer in LaGrange, IN, has a special basement frame that is freguently used in your situation. Their retailer in the Traverse City area is Bay Area Homes

LARRY HASWELL

Post by LARRY HASWELL » Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:37 pm

STAY AWAY FROM FLEETWOOD HOMES THEY ARE BEING SUED BY THOUANDS OF CUSTOMERS. FOR MORE INFO EMAIL ME.
LARRY HASWELL
CANTON,N.C.