Novadeck flooring

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Jere

Novadeck flooring

Post by Jere » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:17 pm

My wife and I purchased a MH which has Novadeck subflooring. We were told that this flooring came with a lifetime warranty. This summer our Air Handler Unit(inside), froze up and leaked about 10 gallons of water down to the floor. Which expanded and had to be replaced. We then found out that NovaDecks lifetime warranty does not cover water damage. Is there anything that we can do about this?

rmurray

Re: Novadeck flooring

Post by rmurray » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:19 am

You have done about the most you can by informing others of your plight....There is noy much to do but fix the floor and remember not to take persons spekn word for fact..Ask for written copies of all important items on major purchases...Had you read the warranty when you bought..you would have known the warranty excluded moisture.....I woulder what it does cover..water is what damages this type of floor...Almost like sying you have an automobile warranty only if you do not put gas in it...Does anyone expect to go a lifetime and NEVER get the floor wet??

Good Luck

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:42 pm

Out here on the West Coast, Karsten, at least, simply wouldn't do any other flooring material than Cresdek (same stuff). If I had kids at home still, that would have really irritated me.
One thing you could do is waterproof the replaced section.
This is one of those things that needs to change in the industry.

Sigh...

Pat

Post by Pat » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:28 pm

I too have a "Cresdek" floor, and live in fear and dread that some water event will damage it.

A question for the readers. If floor boards must be replaced, what would be the best suggestion? -- plywood? -- OSB? Can the water resistant Concrete fiberboards be used in flooring?

I cannot imagine why manufactured home companies persist in putting such inferior flooring in, which has potential to be ruined. Though I suppose, it's all about cutting their $$$.
Pat

awill99

Post by awill99 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:25 pm

The better homes today use OSB tongue and grove plywood

Portlandia

Post by Portlandia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:55 pm

I'd use plywood,for two reasons - one, it resists water better than OSB, and two, it's stiffer than OSB.
I just finished replacing my roof deck (don't ask). The OSB allows 24" spacing in one direction (horizontal) and 0" spacing in the vertical direction. The same dimension plywood (okay, 15/32" plywood vs. 7/16" OSB) allows 36" horizontal and 24" vertical spacing. In other words, it's stiffer. I did occasionally run across a weak spot on a sheet of plywood which one would not find with OSB, but for my money, go with plywood.

lmbrguy

Post by lmbrguy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:11 pm

OSB is NOT plywood....It is a product made from wood wafers.