New Modular home mold inside walls

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Michelle

New Modular home mold inside walls

Post by Michelle » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:22 am

We purchased a Brand New modular home already on a 433 with a landscaped yard April 2004. Unfortantly this home has been the house from HELL! In October 2004 I noticed a musty smell in my son's room. Well turns out that both bathtubs and the shower had been leaking under the house into the soil all summer. We had to move out for a month and 1/2 because of mold in my son's room the bathroom and the kitchen.

We moved back in the middle of December. March 2005 I smelled a weird spoiled smell in the kitchen. To make a long story short after 3 different air testing companies we found out the beginning of July that we have a lot of mold inside of our walls. Brand NEW home.....they now want to take out the whole wall where the marriage line is and the whole wall in my son's room connected to the bathroom. They want us to move out again... I dont want this home anymore. I believe they should take the whole house off the lot and treat the soil. Because the crawl space had huge mushrooms growing, and currently has an air conditioner leak and who knows what else.

My question is if anyone can please give me some advice.

Isn't it true that once mold and moisture is wide spread in a modular home there is noway to take care of problem because of the materials used to build them?

One more question.. The other night i got up and went in the bathroom..the floor in front of the sink was VERY warm, the rest of the floor was cold. Could that be an electrical problem?? If not what could it be?

Thank You Michelle

David Oxhandler

Re: New Modular home mold inside walls

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:24 am

Mold is a problem that is NOT unique to manufactured homes. Owners of homes of every type and size are having problems like yours across the country. Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.

You will find quiet as bit of good information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in their free Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home

Kevin C

Post by Kevin C » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:49 am

You might start talking with a lawyer. I don't know how long the warantee is on your home, but if it is only a year your time is almost up.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:01 am

I know a lot about moisture mold and the environment. I have had to do endless research. My question was why would the bathroom floor have heat underneath it? And what point with a serious moisture problem would a modular or manufactured home be not worth restoring? We have very high indoor air mold and very high inside the walls, and visable.

The manufacturer has already put 35,000.00 into the first redemtion. This time it will probabley be more. The people who put this home up did not know what they were doing and still dont. They also put this home on a 2 bedroom septic not 3 which is illegal according to invironmental health. They changed the paperwork at the very end and lied to them.

They also never put a vapor barrier down over the soil, probabley because the soil was already wet from the rain.

As far as i can see, the manufacturer should go after them.

I have been looking for a attorney and it is not easy unless a lot of people are involved with the lawsuit.

PLease Help if you know any answers to my questions thanks

Kevin C

Post by Kevin C » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:36 am

It sounds like the manufacturer is trying to do something about the problem. Again, if I were you I would talk to an attorney. You might have a good case against the set-up company and the dealership that sold you the home if they were responsible for hiring the set-up crew. Most attorneys won't charge you for the first consultation. If I were you I'd find one now. Your family’s health could be at stake. Also, there is no way you can sell that home with the mold problem. Get some legal advice.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:02 am

You may have some action with the local building inspector..they should have never cleared a home with no vapor barrier on the ground...You were not involved in the septic tank permit process????...Push the health department to bring the power of the government down on them...Septic installer should have known better as well...I doubt there are any electricxal lines in your bath floor..why the heat..maybe a hot water line near the subfloor...Good Luck..put this crook out of businesss...Go for it...

Bill White

Post by Bill White » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:37 am

HUD states that the M/H Manufacturer warrants it till if falls down! (hud.gov) HUD Now backs financing, it's a house now, Hud will help ya out. Everyone involved was working for the MFG either directly or indirectly. Send MFG CERTIFIED letter stating they have 30 days before you call the HUD Field Inspector(ck website for your local field office) the FTC & State Senator's Office demanding accountability from the MFG.

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:23 pm

If you live in a rural part of the county it is likely there was no inspection done to make sure the septic tank was sized properly. The ground under the foundation should of had at least 4" of pea gravel covered with a vapor barrier to prevent moisture from coming up into the living space. As for the warm spot it is likely the plastic that covers the bottom side of the house may need to be closed up and the warm air is coming in through the drain pipe opening. Make sure there are perimeter wall vents also so that air can circulate and help dry up the crawlspace.

Mold can occur in any type of house but you might need to call a company who deals with mold remediation. Mold is one of the reasons that insurance premiums have skyrocketed here in texas due to the high number of claims.