Mobile home vs. Manufactured Home

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Woody

Mobile home vs. Manufactured Home

Post by Woody » Mon Aug 07, 2000 3:22 pm

My wife and I are looking for 5 acres of land for our retirement. We want to put a double wide/manufactured home on it. Most of the acreage that we look at say that they do not allow trailers or mobil homes. We have looked at "Fortune Homes" and saw some that we really liked, but, no one seems to be able to tell us if these are considered mobile homes or not, (not even the salesman). What is the definition of a mobile home vs. a manufactured home? or are these one and the same?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give us,
Woody

David Oxhandler

RE: Mobile home vs. Manufactured Home

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Aug 08, 2000 10:43 am

The terms mobile and manufactured home have traditionally been used interchangeably by most people. The federal government has officially labeled homes built to the federal HUD Code as "manufactured homes" and this is the terminology preferred today by most industry participants.

In your situation, I would ask the seller and then the local permitting authority if there are any restrictions on the land you select, that would prevent you from installing the particular home you wish to purchase.

Oh yeah.... get it in writing. Verbal approvals are easy to get but not worth the paper they are written on

Bob Murray

Post by Bob Murray » Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:02 pm

I would suggest you talk to an attorney specalizing in Real Estate in your area....These terms have been defined differently by courts in different states...These are deed restrictions as opposed to zoning...The enforceability of deed restrictions is left up to the civil courts...I just had a customer win in court with a deed restriction the said " home only"....They succeeded in convincing the judge that their manufactured home...is a home...Good Luck....The dealer should be able to help you get good advise...

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Aug 27, 2000 11:45 pm

Out where i live a single wide mobile is not allowed but a double wide is.
It seems that if you put down a pad and place the double wide on an 8 point foundation its called a manufactured home.(or real property).