Putting a house in a private lot

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
susanna

Putting a house in a private lot

Post by susanna » Sun Jul 22, 2001 3:32 pm

I am thinking to put a MH in a private lot and sell it or rent it afterwards. How am I going to market it. I am going to put foundation for the MH. I checked with the city development department already. I did not have any objection on it - as long as it is within the building code. Can someone give me some advice???

Susanna

Dan O'Flaherty

RE: Putting a house in a private lot

Post by Dan O'Flaherty » Tue Jul 24, 2001 6:29 am

One thing, what does the city building department mean by "within the building code"? Do they mean the HUD code or a state code? If they mean the state code, you may not be able to put up a Manufactured home on the lot.

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:35 pm

I thought the HUD code was stricter than the state building codes. If that is NOT correct, then the argument about the great construction standards of manufactured houses just doesn't hold water. I've lived in two site-built houses built to the Southern Building Congress Code and they were both sub-standard (i.e, defective roof, etc.) , so if HUD is even below that, why would I want to buy a manufactured home?

Dan O'Flaherty

Post by Dan O'Flaherty » Wed Jul 25, 2001 7:07 am

No one said below any standard or above standard just a different set of rules, thats all. In many cases it's like saying which is better red or green?

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:12 pm

Okay, thanks - but could you give us an example of the difference?

Dan O'Flaherty

Post by Dan O'Flaherty » Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:05 am

The HUD is a national building code, the state code is a state code so depending on where you are talking about makes a big difference.
For example some states reuire copper water supply pipe, HUD does not. But, on the other hand some states have decided to change from the copper requriement to the same as HUD.
That's only one example, but there are hundreds. You might in your state go to a retailer of HUD code homes and do a compairson yourself.

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:55 pm

Susanna:
Without knowing the codes that regulate land use in your city, there isn't much advice to be given. However, at this stage of your project I would offer the following recommendations.
1. Retain a good real estate attorney to assist you.
2. Before you enter into any purchase agreement, insure the property you plan to use is zoned properly for your project and that it has no deed restrictions, easements or right-of-ways that may interfere with your intended use.
Good luck!

RON

Post by RON » Fri Jul 27, 2001 3:35 pm

I highly recommmend you look into earthquake resistant bracing systems as an alternative to concrete. Specifically to Magnum Foundation Systems out of Cottage Grove, Oregon. Their product complies to all permanent foundation code requirements and effectively creates a totally portable-permanent foundation that actually exceeds most manufacturers requirements and all H.U.D spec's. These systems could actually revolutionize the methods of manufactured home placement, and in turn the valuations of the properties the homes are placed on. Renewable communities with little or no demolition required, and superior protection from earth tremor and wind. Oh, yeah and did I mention, installation in a day and about 1/2 the cost?
Ron

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Aug 08, 2001 7:07 pm

Re the argument state code vs HUD codes, I think the state codes vary from state to state. I believe in many states the state code is more stringent than the HUD code. In other states, it isn't. I personally believe that whether the home is modular or manufactured--it probably (in my state anyway) has to meet stricter construction standards than a site-built home. A person who makes his living doing "home inspections" of new homes told me he has little problem with modular homes set up on a lot, while he finds wide variances with site built homes. He says some builders try to cut corners as much as possible as slip it by the inspectors--and try to keep costs down. A modular, on the other hand, is generally pretty consistent in quality.