Cavco manufactured homes

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Arva

Cavco manufactured homes

Post by Arva » Sun Sep 03, 2000 3:50 pm

My husband and I are planning on buying a manufactured home in November and have been considering a Cavco Durango Series our of Durango, Arizona. Does anyone have any info on Cavco concerning construction, possible problems etc...... Would appreciate any info that anyone can give us before we buy this brand home. Thanks Arva and Eddie

Randy Eaton

RE: Cavco manufactured homes

Post by Randy Eaton » Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:38 am

Arva, Go to www.buymfghome.com new book that probably will answer your questions about construction and much more.

Terry Yazzie

Post by Terry Yazzie » Tue Sep 12, 2000 8:45 pm

Avra, I wouldn't consider you buying a Cavaco home because they don't pay attention to the detail. My friend owns a Cavaco which is manufactured from the Durango plant and it's a triple wide. This company uses alot of cheater studs and a very thin drywall that's very appealing to the buyers. My friend had her's delivered and when they put the home together the marriage walls couldn't be aligned and the walls were cricked in the utility room the guest bedroom had a 1" crack between the marriage lline in the floor where the floors were suppose to meet this was only patched up by a glue of insulation. How she discoved that was when she had a water leak from the water heater when the hose seperated and flooded part of the home where she had to tear the carpet out. She was actually in tears saying why did I buy a Cavaco home and another problem about their homes is they use cheap shingles which just blow off in the wind. This home is probably like a Cadillac in your eyes but the home itself and the interior is like a Hyandi motor in a Cadillac. I hope you would really shop around before buying a manufactured home I will give you some information that you can go by to shop around. One of the finest builders in the valley of the sun would be Schults and Marlette homes this manufactued home comes from the same manufacturer because Schults bought out Marlette and they still follow the same philosophy in building quality manufactured homes. Back in the old days Marlette homes is a proud home builder and has a very good reputation because of the quality construction that was put into every home that rolled out of the factory. These two homes are built from Buckeye, Arizona and if you ever mentioned the name Marlette to anyone who has lived in a manufactured home they will tell you the quality and the workmanship. Another manufactured homes are Silvercreast of Corona, California which really can customize your home and the workmanship is excellent they are now building their homes with steel floor and you can't beat that and also Hallmark homes of San Bernadino, California they are the only manufacturer that builds their homes with an 8'0" sidewall ceiling height and this company has been around for quite sometime and they are very famous because of the excellent workmanship that goes into every home they build Another one is Karsten homes of Albuquerque, New Mexico this company recently opened it's factory in New Mexico and is building quality homes speaking of quality take their factory tour it speaks for itself. Their homes are constructed just like a residential home and the attention and the detail that's put into this home is worth it. Speak with Liz Karsten this company is referred by people from mouth to mouth and it gained alot of attention from Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado. They have customers ordering their homes from these states and the one this is they really stand behind their home and the service they provide after the sale if's its's and emergency they will send their service men out right away. I really recommend this company to you because they provide service after the sale and will check up on you later to see if everythings okay with your home. This is why they are gaining popularity in the Southwest because they just don't leave you after the sale. Another home that I myself live in is a Solitair Home it's a great home and the grid work construction in the floor and the ceiling and tape and textured walls thru out with plywood exterior that's wrapped around the entire home and hardboard siding applied over the plywood gives the home a solid construction. They are the only one in the industry that does that. I had no cracks except over the entry way and back doorway had a minor crack and the cabinets are solid oak and the floor is solid plywood. This home is manufactured out of Waurika, Oklahoma and they have a retailer in Albuquerque and Farmington, New Mexico. The only problem with them that I had was they never came back to fix the minor cracks and relevel my home that's what I hold against them for. I hope I gave you enough information and get some brochures from these manufactures just call the information in the phone directories and call the factory for brochures and go look them over because these are the finest homebuilders in the Southwest that I recommend to you. Terry Yazzie St. Michaels, AzArva wrote:
>
> My husband and I are planning on buying a manufactured
> home in November and have been considering a Cavco Durango
> Series our of Durango, Arizona. Does anyone have any info on
> Cavco concerning construction, possible problems etc......
> Would appreciate any info that anyone can give us before we buy
> this brand home. Thanks Arva and Eddie

Arva Manjarres

Post by Arva Manjarres » Tue Sep 12, 2000 10:19 pm

Thank you so much Terry for you info on Cavco homes. You are the first person that has come forward with information on why not to buy a Cavco home. You have helped us alot on our decision on wheather to buy the home or look further into the manufactured home industry. We will be looking at other brands of homes for sure now. Thank you again for you information. Arva and Eddie

Kurt Jensen

Post by Kurt Jensen » Sat Sep 23, 2000 11:09 am

Here is some more feedback that may help you in your home seeking efforts, from owners of a newer mobile home. My wife and I purchased a Fleetwood Festival series after getting the feeling that we could trust the product and reputation of the company. And, some of those expectations worked out. Many others did not! Our purchase from Fleetwood left us with some very rude surprises! Weeks later, after finding serious cosmetic problems with many of our cabinets, we found out all of our once beautiful cabinets were made with a cheap paper laminate and MDF fiber board. We did not know that this kind of thing was even being produced like this. Not only had no one advised us of what these materials were, we were seeing them begin to fall apart and change color immediately after purchase! We are trying to negotiate a fair solution to this problem with the vendors now, but it has not been easy. Sure, the cabinets looked great at purchase, but not for long. Many parts have needed replaced at least once because the material is so easily damaged, and cannot be cleaned or repaired.

Fleetwood claims that ALL their homes are built using this paper-laminate material which is produced by a company known as Omnova. In our efforts to resolve the quality of material and manufacture problem with the vendors, we have run into many delays and obstacles. Even Omnova admits their paper-laminate is used by many vendors but it is not designed to tolerate any amount of food oils, soaps, grease, stains, steam, body oils, or many of the other common materials used day to day in an average kitchen or bathroom, etc. Nonetheless, vendors such as Fleetwood (and many other MH vendors) choose to supply this material as a solution to build cabinets and cabinet doors and trim surface parts, doors, etc. Much worse, the paper-laminates are applied to material that is not even durable wood. MDF contains various kinds of particles and glue. This only makes matters worse because the paper laminates absorb the glue from underneath, plus many kinds of moisture found in any typical home as listed above, as time goes on, turning the colors of the laminate into a ugly stained appearance. There is no way to clean out the stains that appear, and the materials are too chincy to fix as there is nothing really there to repair or work with but paper, glue, particles and fake colors, etc. These MDF - particle booard panels have no semblance of a natural wood grain or surface to stain, paint or treat with protective coatings.
All said, at this point I would never buy a Fleetwood home again. And to top that off we would never consider buying any other manufactured home that uses any such materials in their construction. My wife and I see this as nothing less than a rip-off. This does nothing to speak of all the other problems we had to confront them about after we purchased our home. It was humiliating. At least many of those problems were repaired. So far, after almost two years of battling this issue regarding the paper laminates and MDF, they have done little or nothing. If anyone that knows the ropes on this kind of thing can help, that would be appreciated.

Kurt Jensen and Family