Trying to decide????

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Betty Smith

Trying to decide????

Post by Betty Smith » Sat Mar 10, 2001 7:52 am

There are many dealers in this area West Tennessee. There are Fleetwoods, Southern Energy, Buccaneer. I want to buy a high quality home. I am very concerned about the materials used in the flooring in the homes. One uses plywood and the others use OSB. what is the best?? I don't want to be flim flamed about this.I live in an old home where the floors have buckled. I am looking for 16 X80, 3 bedroom 2 bath, with a laundry room. Have you got any help for me? I have looked at floorplans on the Claytons also. However quality is the most important thing for me.

Jon

RE: Trying to decide????

Post by Jon » Sun Mar 11, 2001 7:57 pm

Betty:
While I'm not personally aware of all the manufactured homes that may be marketed in your area of the country, I can tell you plywood beats OSB. If you go with plywood, make sure it is tongue and groove plywood decking. When dry, both seem to perform about the same. But when wet (from a leaking drain line, for example) OSB tends to buckle and separate, especially if it becomes wet more than a few times. And beware of those who may tell you tongue and groove OSB is just as good as tongue and groove plywood. Repeated dampness can cause OSB to come apart, and repeated damp or wet conditions can easily result from a leaking window or door frame. Naturally there are situations in which plywood may also distort from damp or wet conditions, particularly those that are severe, but overall plywood tends to tolerate those conditions better and for a longer period than OSB.
Ask your retailer for a complete list of construction specifications. Use that list, and similar lists for other homes in which you may have an interest, to make direct comparisons between the homes you are considering.
Good luck.

Jack @!#$

Post by Jack @!#$ » Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:06 pm

Why don't you get a fuckin' life!!!

Betty Smith

Post by Betty Smith » Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:49 am

Jon , Thanks so much for your reply.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Fri Mar 23, 2001 2:54 pm