Question for Terry

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Dee

Question for Terry

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:49 am

Thank you for your reply. My husband and I have talked about having the tub switched out to a one-piece tub-shower combo. Our thoughts are that since it's only the 2 of us, the guest bathroom will get used very, very little. He thought maybe a good caulking job would do instead of us spending the extra money to get it switched out. What do you think? Bear in mind, it's only the 2 of us with very little overnight guests staying over, chances are, that tub would rarely get used. Would caulking in between the tub/wall and all around it help out enough? I have no idea how much a one-piece combo would cost or even if they can put one in place of just the tub. Our master bath has separate tub and shower stall, so that's why the other would seldom be used. Do you think in the long run it would be worth doing this or not?
Thank you so much for your wealth of information!

Also, how do you find out more about the framing??? Should we trust what the salesman tells us or is there a way to physically get in there and look? Like for instance, walls, they can tell you they are 2x6 studs, but there really isn't any way you can rip it open to see for sure. Any suggestions? We are in the paper-waiting process, we haven't signed any contracts yet.

Terry

RE: Question for Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Mar 03, 2001 12:46 pm

Dee, Hello, If you have the one piece tub shower combination installed in the long run your better of than the two piece. For the exterior studs check the window sills and make sure it's more than 6" wide and the around the front or rear doors. If you look at two double wides, before being assembled, I usually look at the marriage walls to make sure they have 2x6 sidewalls and 2x6 top and bottom plates. Oakcreek uses the 2x2 cheater studs for the interior walls. If you have it tape and textured you will see alot of cracks in their homes so be prepared. Oakcreek usually puts their framing studs every 16" o.c. or less in someplaces and same with floor. The roof is usually 24"o.c. depending on the roof load. Good luck.