Clayton Mobile Homes

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Wanda

Clayton Mobile Homes

Post by Wanda » Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:53 am

My brother just recently purchased a Clayton mobile home. He has a relative working for the company, so naturally that person told him they were the top manufacturer. I visited one of these homes, as my husband and I are looking also. I was appalled at the cheap quality. My husband pulled up a corner of carpet to expose particle board. Now we figure "top manufacturer" means they shell out as many as possible, who cares about the quality. My mother, on the other hand, the poor woman is telling everyone my brother bought the very top of the line home and I don't have the heart to tell her to not repeat that! Some people out there know better! So is Clayton really the bottom of the barrel, or are there others a lot worse?

Terry

RE: Clayton Mobile Homes

Post by Terry » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:16 pm

Wanda, You could be right. Clayton isn't a top quality manufacturer. They use many cheater studs in their walls and use press board cabinets and vinyl covered walls, two piece bath tubs, plastic sinks, small playhouse style toilet bowl. Take a look at their door hinges they use a very cheap hinge with two screws at each hinges. They use single glazed windows and storm windows, not the double glazed windows. You have to do many upgrades to get what you want. Clayton is a company that's keeping costs down and are using cheaper building materials and yes they are one of the bottom of the barrel. If you are looking for a quality built home check out the Solitaire homes of Waurika, Oklahoma, Karsten Homes of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and HouseSmart of Granview, Texas these companies I highly recommend to you because they don't cut corners and is one of the best when I researched companies who build quality homes. Good luck. Compare and check the construction and the options that each homes have.