Oak Creek MH mfg'd in Burleson TX

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Dee

Oak Creek MH mfg'd in Burleson TX

Post by Dee » Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:31 am

Anyone have any opinions on this brand?? The company that makes them also makes American Homestar which I've always heard was a quality brand. We are about to decide on the Oak Creek home, but would like any opinions. It is sold by Nationwide Mobile Home company.

Tegan

RE: Oak Creek MH mfg'd in Burleson TX

Post by Tegan » Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:49 pm

Hi Dee, actually I was just at the plant in burleson recently looking at a foreclosed home there. The factory has been closed for about 6 monthes. The company is having financial issues evidently. The house we are probebly going to buy is an American Homestar. I have done a lot of searching the net and have come to the conclusion that american homestar is more "upper middle of the road" if that makes sense, their not the best, or the worst but kinda in between. They seem to look good and be well made and with proper maietenance hopefully last a long time. Just for your info...the dealers and banks are crawling with foreclosures and repossesions, for us a foreclosure got us a 20 year note rather than 30, and a payment below 480 for a 4 BR, 2 bath and the home looks like a brand new one. I probebly have'nt been much help to you but I wish you luck, be sure to negotiate and know everything you can about the home before you buy.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:34 pm

Dee, The last time Oakcreek file for bankrupcy was back in the middle of the 1980's and the bad thing about this was they were protected by the Bankrupcy court and anyone who purchased their homes even new was never service, it was buy as is, and service your self. Now the company is back on top producing quality homes. American homestar only top quality home is the Guerdon/Magnolia in Vicksburg, Mississippi, Oakcreek is a nice home and they use quality building materials. You have to upgrade at times to get what you want. The only problem with Oakcreek homes was they were using very cheap steel frame. Most of their homes would sag down in the middle and the rear and you can see the hardboard siding being ripped out of the nails. They were also using cheap siding which was warping. Remember if you buy an Oakcreek make sure you have to upgrade the shower stalls, bathtub to a one piece shower stall and bathtub. Water is the greatest damage to a manufactured home floors. Water shut off thru out, upgrade the cabinets to a real wood cabinets. Make sure you check all the options you put into their homes. They are known to skip some of the options like what happened to my friend. Make sure you check out their steel frame if it still saggs down. If you would like to check out some of the other builders check out the Housesmart of Grandview, Texas and Solitaire homes of Waurika, Oklahoma, and Karsten Homes of Albuquerque, New Mexico. These companies are some of the finest in the industry and have good reputation specially the Karsten homes who don't forget their customers after the sale. Good luck

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:55 pm

In reply to the original query about Oak Creek homes, I can tell you that Oak Creek homes were some of the finest on the market. The parent company is American Homestar,and the Homestar brands included Oak Creek, Burleson, Lancaster and Guerdon/Magnolia. The best-made of those brands were Oak Creek and Magnolia. I sold all of these in New Mexico, first as a salesman and later as manager of a sales center there. I left the company in late 1999, so can't say much about the quality from that time. I assume it stayed good until recently---IF it declined at all. I don't know if it did or did not. I do know that American Homestar has filed bankruptcy proceedings, so that should have some bearing on your thinking regarding purchasing one of their homes. Don't let it be the deciding factor, but it should be one of the things you take into account. An earlier reply mentioned "cheap steel" in Oak Creek frames. Not true, folks. The frames on Oak Creek homes has long been 18" steel I-beams while much of the rest of the industry uses 12" beams. The 18" beams add stability and strength to the homes. Oak Creek homes have had some excellent floor plans and extensive options lists which can help you truly customize your home. Don't be afraid of the quality----but because of the bankruptcy proceedings, you might wish to question the committment to aftermarket service.

I hope this helps you in your decision.