life expectancy

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
PAUL EDELSTEIN

life expectancy

Post by PAUL EDELSTEIN » Thu May 29, 2003 2:21 pm

What is the normal life expectancy of mobile home type trailers?

sheila

Re: life expectancy

Post by sheila » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:45 pm

Paul we recently bought atrue trailer in a "camp" type setting, it is a 1967 and I swear the darn thing isbuilt better than my Schult! I don't have the title here, and I've never even heard of the manufacturer (probably wound up the model not manufacturer on the title) This thing is in great shape, no soft spots, leaks and has never been shingled or sided. I think it is a couple things, Obviously, how well you care for your home and maintain it, secondly the manufacturer and what you have to begin with. Being that I have sold primeraly preowned homes, I am not all that well versed on 2X6... On Center.... The R factors are obviously easy, the higher the better! Just do your homework, dont rush, it is a big step.

Nancy Horner

Post by Nancy Horner » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:03 am

I need written documentation on what the life expectancy is for a mobile home. I need it for court. Where can I find this information? THANKS

Todd hill

Post by Todd hill » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:16 pm

Hi there
We are looking at buying a mobile home that is 22 years old. It has had many updates. The realtor said that on mobile home the life expectancy is about 40 years and there for most banks will only give shorter mortgage payback times and also that the interst rate is higher then a conventional mortgage. Also we were wondering about selling it 5 to 8 years down the road when it is about 30 years old and will we havea problem selling at that point

Thanks

Todd Hill

Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:42 pm

When you say "mobile home" are you referring to the double wides of past or the growing market of manufactured homes with wood and steel frames? Some are 2200 - 2700 sq. feet. These are a larger investment and I want to know if they have the same life expectancy of a house (as they are set on cemnt foundations) or still of a mobile home.

Linda T

Post by Linda T » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:14 am

Most of the major mobile (manufactured) homes manufacturers now have their own websites. I would research the site of the manufacturer and then contact the factory sales group. Tell them what you are needing and ask them where you could find it and how it stacks up to competitors in the industry.

You might also contact your state's Insurance division for homeowners insurance questions.

Good luck,

Linda T

gamcam

Post by gamcam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:49 pm

We are looking at a 1984 Redmond Double wide mobile home. It has had many updates and looks in top condition.The roof is a metal roof over. We are wondering what the life expectancy is. We are looking to live in it for the remainder of our lives.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:50 pm

The life expectancy of the roof could be as long as 50 years. The home... that depends on how well it had been cared for. Any framed structure's life expectancy depends on may factors, but the biggest is maintenance.

I own a park filled with 80's vintage homes that are all rentals. We have been very diligent, taking care of then as if my 80 year old Mom was moving in.roblems. Those homes are always rented and the renters are all great neighbors.

Down the street is another park where,over the years, the owner did next to nothing to take care of his homes. The homes are scary and he cant understand why he cant keep decent folks living there.

Download The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade. This Book was compiled from the long time experience of contractor, Mark Bower, one of the best known hands on men in the manufactured housing industry. Whether it's a major roof replacement or a simple broken window crank, you will find keeping your home in top condition is not difficult. The time you put into it will return a full understanding of the systems that make up the modern manufactured home.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

tblack1958

Post by tblack1958 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 pm

I purchased a new 1997 Pioneer doublewide and had problems from the get go. It was not set up correctly and we now have mold in the home that is causing health problems, weak floors, roof leaking and pipes bursting. We complained for a year then we were told they went out of business. We are now having to completely rebuild the home or demolish it. It has caused such health problems that I am now disabled and the home insurance purchased will not cover repairs due to the setup of the home. If someone knows of what happened to this awful company I would appreciate knowing. The dealer we bought from was gone after 6 months and we could not even find them. They were located in Little River SC near Myrtle Beach SC. Thank you.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:59 pm

I sold Pioneer at the time you bought. Pioneer built a basic home for the very price conscience buyer. They were the lowest priced homes of the time. They like many others closed in the late 90's. Yours is now 15 years old and no brand or type of home would have that long of warranty. You had a 1 year warranty and the full backing of the SC manufactured home authorities to help you at the time. I suppose you did not ask for their help. In 1997 set up was not regulated by the state, it is now highly regulated and buyers today will have better trained and more caring crews and dealers because all this is now regulated.
The point now is it IS YOUR responsibility. You must decide to take ownership responsibility and take care of the problems in your home. I can assure you that had I called my builder (of my well over $100,000 house) about the microwave that failed in only 5 years or about the light fixture that failed after only 6 years or the paint that looks dingy at 8 years, he would sue me for tying to kill him with fits of laughter. I as owner bought a new microwave, 3 new fixtures and am painting right now..All that is part of owning a home. After years in the housing business, I have concluded not everyone should own one, many should stay tenets in rentals and call the landlord with every little thing and wonder why the rent always goes up.