Indies Homes

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
JohnnyJ

Indies Homes

Post by JohnnyJ » Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:25 pm

My wife and I are looking to purchase a 28 X 80 Indies House double wide. We
have toured the factory in Hackleburg, AL, and were impressed with the way
they build the homes. We ordered a quote from them on the home with an upgraded energy package, which include 2 X 6 exterior walls set at 16" OC,
Zone 3 insulation, upgraded exterior doors, and themopaine windows. I have been
further impressed with the way they have worked with us on every option or change
we have asked for.

The sales rep at the plant was very courteous, and knowledgeable. He took us
through several homes that were being transported in the next week. The pride
he had in his products was very evident. He stated that they only make about
six homes a month. It seems to me that that says a lot about taking time to do
the job right.

Does anyone have any experience with Indies House homes? I only ask because
I have found little information on the internet compared to other manufacturers.

Thanks

Jon

Re: Indies Homes

Post by Jon » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:35 am

Johnny:
I have no information on that home manufacturer. However, I do have a question. Your posting gives the impression the manufacturer will be selling directly to you. Is this correct? If so, be very cautious. Although states are in the process of adopting laws to require training and certification in home set-ups, your state may be one that has yet to do so. Usually, this certification is obtained by retailers and special set-up crews. Unless the manufacturer has department that will peform the set, and in the absence of a retailer, you may become liable for any incorrect set-up procedures (and in such a scenario the manufacturer may assume certain liabilities as well). Improper set-up can and often does lead to or result in one or more of a plethora of distasteful and/or potentially costly situations. Should any of them occur you may find yourself in a legal entanglement with the manufacturer.
In any case, make sure you have a written understanding delineating who is responsible for what. Normally, with retailer involvement, the retailer will include arrangements for proper set-up of the home in a purchase agreement.
Hopefully you will have a smooth transaction. Good luck.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:50 am

Indies is a small locally owned manufacturer in N..Al...They build home much similar to the many plants in the area...Southern, Cavalier and River Birch....

They are a good middle price range home..Finish is a little sloppy like the others in the area...

By the way...they build 6 floors (6 singles or 3 doubles) per day...not per month....If it was per month..they would be closed up now..or very soon...

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:56 pm

How is the finish sloppy? What should I look for? From what you are saying, this
is a brand I should steer clear of. Every home I saw at the factory looked very
neat in workmanship. Please let me know.

Thanks

JohnnyJ

BTW, Mr. Murray...

Post by JohnnyJ » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:40 pm

In another forum you wrote:

"Indies is a small manufacturer in the North Alabama area...They have some very unusual floor plans and offer a lot of custom ability...They build homes similar to the others built in N.AL...The basic qaulity is similar to Southern Life Style, Palm Harbor and the others in the area...

The plant is locally owned and has been in business for many years...always building homes while others have had problems...If you have a good dealer...all Indies dealers will be locally owned independents...you should be happy...Good Luck"

Now which kind of home are they, sloppy or similar in quality to Palm Harbor,
etc.?

Thanks

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:56 pm

Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for people who have purchased the Indies
brand, and would like to find out their experiences.

I don't believe that you can purchase any mobile home directly from the
manufacturer. Just as likely you could buy a car from the manufacturer
instead of going through a dealer rep. In fact, I can't think of very many things
that can be purchased directly from the manufacturer, can you?

I am in an information gathering process so that I might make an informed
decision on which mobile home I buy.

Please tell me of the experience you have had with your Indies.

Thanks

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:09 am

"Now which kind of home are they, sloppy or similar in quality to Palm Harbor"...you asked...answer both...The Palm Harbor built in Boaz, Al is very sloppy in relation to other SE available homes in the same price range...

I do not mean to downgrade these homes...Al built homes have had this tradition for many years...Look good...built decent...missing the final touches to be great homes..(there is even a name for it in the industry.."Alabama Flash"...)...The other AL tradition seems to be improving in the last few years...Poor service...All the AL plants have made great improvements in the service they offer...

Indies will be offered by smaller locally owned local dealers...These folks are some of the best to buy from...If you have a good dealer..You should be happy...

If you are comfortable with the dealer...you should be happy with this home...Good Luck

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:17 am

Johnny:
As I stated in my previous post, I have no experience with that manufacturer.
With regard to buying directly from the manufacturer: Unfortunately, this was a practice some manufacturers adopted in years past. Most did not do so, but the few that did caused numerous problems for the industry. However, a new awareness, set-up requirements and industry pressure have virtually eliminated such direct sales.
Glad to learn you do not have this situation.
Good luck.

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:03 am

Johnny,

My wife and I just recently moved into our new indies doublewide home. So far we have found a lot of minor problems with our home that they are supposed to fix. We have had trouble getting them to send a repair person to our home. I have called and sent them letters via fax.

Now, the overall quality of our home, which is a 32X60 Brandywine series, is excellent. Some of the few problems we have encounterd are: the staples they use in the floor keep coming up, some of the doors are not closing properly, and one of the windows ( thermal payne) will not open and close properly. All of the major aspects of the home (plumbing, ductwork, ect....) have been execellent.

I do recommend indies and I hope you have great success with your purchase.

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:44 pm

The problems you mentioned with doors and windows could be caused by a
bad setup / leveling. What type of foundation did you prepare for your home?

I am also disappointed to hear that Indies has not responded to your requests
for service. Service after the sale is a key issue in my decision making when
it comes to a major purchase. What state / area did you purchase your home
in?

I was impressed with the factory tour and how the Indies homes are made. Did
you get any upgrades besides the thermopaine windows? I was going for a tile
floor in the kitchen and foyer, upgrade carpet and pad, zone 3 insulation, wind
zone 2 tiedowns, Moen faucets, whirlpool tub in the MB, and unfinished
sheetrock.

thanks for your response