STRUCTURAL INSULATED PANELS IN M/H

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
BUD COWART

STRUCTURAL INSULATED PANELS IN M/H

Post by BUD COWART » Mon Aug 14, 2000 4:14 pm

I WAS INVOLVED WITH A GROUP WHO BUILT PARK MODEL TRAILERS USING STRUCTURAL INSULATED PANELS (SIPS). I BELIEVE THAT SIPS REPRESENT THE NEXT GENERATION IN CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL IN HOME CONSTRUCTION. I ALSO BELIEVE THERE IS A HUGE OPPORTUNITY FOR SIPS IN MANUFACTURED HOUSING BECAUSE OF THEIR STRENGTH AND ENERGY EFFECIENCY. IN ADDITION, SIPS ARE LESS LABOR INTENSIVE THAN STICK-BUILDING
I UNDERSTAND THAT CHAMPION MFG HAS BUILT A SIP PROTOTYPE AND THE TEST RESULTS HAVE BEEN VERY POSITIVE.
IS THERE ANY INTEREST OUT THERE IN SIP-CONSTRUCTED MANUFACTURED HOMES? I WOULD BE INTERESTED AN ANY FEEDBACK.

[email protected]

Bob Murray

RE: STRUCTURAL INSULATED PANELS IN M/H

Post by Bob Murray » Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:51 pm

I read the article about Champion's test house...It seems that this type of construction is designed to save energy....The problem is the added cost adds more to the price than one can save...They mentioned and added cost of a 1800 sq foot home of $ 6000 and an energy savings of about $ 525 per year....(The article does not mention what R-values are used for this savings...but I assume the HUD minimums)....I have noticed over the years when these types of studies always forget to factor in the additional interest, sales tax and loan costs...Those things taken into consideration...This test house's payment would rise by $ 55/month or $ 660 per year...As "green" as we all would like to be...my customers worry about the green in their pockets first...

Randy Eaton

RE: Lean How To Save Before You Buy

Post by Randy Eaton » Thu Aug 17, 2000 5:43 pm

New 28-page booklet reveals secreats your retailers don't want you to know. Learn how to save money and time. Also site preparation diagrams and helpful instructions for the do-it-yourself person. Great source of information for only $19.95. Go to this page to preview the book or order on line

Jeff Hussman

Post by Jeff Hussman » Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:54 pm

Just finished Randy's book on how to save thousands when you buy a manufactured home. There is only one thing I dont understand... who did the buying public ever work their way through purchasing a MH before this book was written

GREAT WORK RANDY....thanks. We feel that the book really gave us an edge that let us relate to the dealers on an even footing.... WE LOVE OUR NEW DOUBLEWIDE, but would never have been able to get exactly what we wanted without knowing where to find the quality.

Ken Mason

Post by Ken Mason » Wed Aug 23, 2000 4:03 pm

As a retailer of Champion homes I haven't found much interest in this item in our area yet. If you're a new home buyer then shop around and then come and see me and we can work out a plan for a new home ownership. I welcome educated buyers as opposed to having educate then and have them buy from some other retailer of a competative brand. My advise is look at the warranties that are offered by the factory and the retailer both.

Keep mer advised of any new developments on the acceptance of SIPS in your area.
Best regards;
Ken Mason
Sales Manager, New Mobile Home Sales bay area, California