my buying experience... so far

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
David

my buying experience... so far

Post by David » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:36 pm

Haven't actually made the purchase, but I've been given a price on the home ($49,400 - 2003 Redman New Moon, 28X56 w/ central air, W/D, OSB subflooring, Energy Star Pkg, carpet upgrade, etc), and an estimate on construction costs ($9,800 for poured concrete foundation, $8,500 for septic, $3,550 for culvert and 200' driveway, etc...)

The people at the sales center are low-key and polite. I haven't felt at all pressured.

I must say, I was surprised at the way my current MH was assessed for trade-in value. The guy from the sales center barely even looked at it, but made an offer of $7,500. That was about $3,500 more than I expected. The guy didn't even ask me about problems with the home. For one thing, there is some moisture damage to the kitchen floor. I feel like I should disclose this problem, but, then again, the appraiser would have seen the problem easily enough if he had bothered to look. Anyway - I didn't say yes or no; I just said I'd think about it and let them know.

More later if anyone's interested....

Charlotte

Re: my buying experience... so far

Post by Charlotte » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:51 pm

We are all interested in your experiences, as a learning tool as far as I am concerned.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:29 am

Disclosure is not necessary...The appraisor did see all he needs to make an offer...Just be honest when asked..You are not expected to make any disclosures more than you are asked...These folks are pros..they know what it takes to get the home ready to sell..

s you proceed...just be sure you get everything in writing..AND GO FOR IT

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:11 pm

We looked at Redman and Skyline homes and noticed that the Redman home had many defects and are concerned that they may have even more issues than we noticed. I would look at some Skyline models.

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:50 pm

Defects? You don't go into detail, so I have no way of knowing what you might be referring to. The Redman New Moon models I've seen look and feel solid. I can get OSB subflooring, oak cabinets, raised panel interior doors, finished drywall, etc., etc. This home has been around since at least the 1950s (I think it was a New Moon featured in the Lucy-Desi movie, "The Long, Long Trailer"!), so they must be doing something right..?

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:25 am

New Moon is a brand name that has meen around for a long time...Matter of fact our dealership web site has a brosure of a 1959 model on it....This was the first home our owner delivered...

BUT..that is only the lable...Currently Redman is part of the Champion Home Builders companies...This brand is available from many different plants...all with different specs....features and quality ranges...

Skyline has been owned by the same group for much longer than Redman has...Like Redman..there are many Skyline plants...all building different models with different specs and features...

The best you can do..is understand what you want in your home in the way of quality construction and features...then find a brand in your area that fills the bill...Remember also that the dealer and its set up will be the most important thing in your long term satisfaction..

samiejulie

Post by samiejulie » Wed May 26, 2021 11:35 pm

can u tell me the ceiling product of the 1959 new moon.was it a type of fiber board and could it contain asbestos? mine had a leak and a neighbor tore some of it out and replaced it several years ago and someone told me it may have had asbestos and ive been worried since but it wasnt a square tile i believe it to be some kind o board and it wasnt the birch