Perimeter wall blocking

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
redRocket

Perimeter wall blocking

Post by redRocket » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:16 am

Perimeter wall is sagging, in the middle (length wise) of a 16ft Solitaire mobile home. I’m a mobile home novice but I’ve inspected the floor joist and rim joists, they both appear in good shape (no rot). I have not inspected the wall studs. The kitchen counters drop an inch towards their back (sidewall of the MH). I suspect the sagging issue is just age and weight and maybe some I-beam deflection. My question has to do with the engineering of a solution. The floor joists are 16 inches center to center and the concrete blocks are also 16 inches wide. I’ve been advised to lift by rim joist which is only 1.5 inches wide. So, would it be best to support the load from the center of the blocking or at the sides? Another way to say this would be should the shims be under the center of the block pier or on the ends of the block pier? On the ends could be directly under two floor joists and the rim joist while centered would be only under one floor joist. I’m thinking of placing a 4x4 beam across the perimeter span between the outriggers at the rim joist and have the shims directly below the 4x4 located where the floor meets the floor rim. Thanks

marji

Re: Perimeter wall blocking

Post by marji » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:02 am

’m thinking of placing a 4x4 beam across the perimeter span between the outriggers at the rim joist and have the shims directly below the 4x4 located where the floor meets the floor rim.
I think this is the best way so you already provided the solution ;)
I'm a March 5 zodiac sign and I thought I knew myself well, but I never knew my best trait was kindness :lol:

vanhouse

Post by vanhouse » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:26 am

sounds like a good fix, id say try that

hurtfulsilk

Post by hurtfulsilk » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 am

Why is perimeter fencing important? Perimeter fencing is important for deterring uninvited invaders, criminals, and animals from the property.

melaniya

Post by melaniya » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:17 am

Your detailed analysis of the sagging issue in the perimeter wall of the Solitaire mobile home is insightful. It's good that you've inspected the floor joists and rim joists for any signs of rot. Considering the 16-inch center spacing of the floor joists and concrete blocks, the question of whether to support the load from the center or sides is crucial.

Placing a 4x4 beam across the perimeter span between the outriggers at the rim joist seems like a solid engineering solution. Having the shims directly below the 4x4 where the floor meets the floor rim makes sense, especially if this aligns with the support of two floor joists and the rim joist. It's essential to distribute the load evenly to address the sagging issue. If possible, a professional opinion or consultation might provide additional insights to ensure the effectiveness of your proposed solution. Good luck with the repair!