Fixing floors

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Peach1303

Fixing floors

Post by Peach1303 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm

First post. Long story short, we purchased a house on a full basement with 8ft tall foundation. Turns out it is a modular house. We are currently gutting it because, well, the previous owner really let the condition of it go. It’s in rough shape, but fixable I think. It’s older, based on the wallpaper and linoleum we found. It’s 2x4 exterior walls, 2x3 interior walls, and the 2x3 truss system was placed on top of the ceiling panels which I thought was odd. I’m guessing it was built in the 70’s. The floors are sagging largely, but I think I have a solution. It’s sitting on steel I-beam and has steel trusses located every 4 ft (except in the center where they’re 2 feet apart for 2 sections. My thoughts were to take wooden 2x10’s, and place them every 16” under the floor (very accessible due to the basement access), and then putting 1/2” OSB over the current floor. We don’t want to rip out the linoleum because we think it could possibly have asbestos glue and would rather enclose it. Would this add too much weight to the structure? I have plenty of other questions, especially about the strange looking screw drives for the walls (looks like rectangular clutch bit). Also, everything is coming out of this house. It had black mold in the attic which is getting treated this week, and also a lot of mice, which we are tearing out all the underbelly insulation as well. As you can tell, this is a rather big project, which hopefully I didn’t bite off more than I can chew. Housing market is brutal and this was legit our best option with pricing. Thanks for any advice.