Moving a Mobile Home (U.S.)

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
rwalt89

Moving a Mobile Home (U.S.)

Post by rwalt89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

My grandparents have kindly offered to let me and my fiance move a mobile home onto their property in exchange for help around the house and farm. It's a pretty ideal situation for us as we are young and want to save money. Turns out the neighbor next door offered us the run down MH on his property for $5. It needs a lot of work but between me and my granddad we feel pretty capable in tackling a big project, especially since the price is right.

The real reason this is so attractive to me is that moving costs are at least $3500 and we were hoping to open the fence and pull the house the short distance across the pasture to where the septic tank is. Now everything I've read says you need a professional to do it, and I don't want to take that advice lightly. But IF you had to, and IF it wasn't incredibly dangerous or anything, what would we need to pull a small single wide home literally across our property? No highway or roads involved. We have trucks, trailers, tractors, and a lot of experience with home building and farm work. The home has axles and wheels and a tongue. What are the things we should check for?

I'm only looking for constructive advice. If it's not possible, it's not possible, but I don't need my intelligence insulted please :D

MODPRO

Re: Moving a Mobile Home (U.S.)

Post by MODPRO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 pm

depending on the homes size and condition it can be moved with a mid sized farm tractor or a LARGE tracked skid steer but setting it up and blocking should be assisted by an experienced set crew

GreerHill

Post by GreerHill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm

When moving a mobile home be sure that you are using an insured mover who has the required permits. Also there is a new startup movemymobile.com that is helping people move their mobile homes for free. I have not used thier service yet as I believe they are still building their site but they have a sign up form so they can email you when they launch

crisp90

Post by crisp90 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:22 am

Mobile home are so useful. In case you don't find a desirable house in future.