Insulation in ceiling

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Desertkiwi

Insulation in ceiling

Post by Desertkiwi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Hello.

I am having some issues with condensation in my ceiling cavity in several rooms in my 1978 Fleetwood doublewide. At first I thought I had leaks in the roof but after coating the roof this summer, this week after the first frost I am getting water running down the roof and pooling at the bottom near the outside wall.

Last year I replaced a ceiling and insulation with 1/2" drywall but still got condensation in the winter which damaged part of the drywall which will be needing to be replaced soon.

Since most of the ceilings are needing to be replaced I would like to do it properly and need to fix the condensation from occurring. What I gather is happening is that air is getting into the ceiling cavity and hitting the cold metal roof and condensing, running down the roofline and pooling at the bottom.

What is the best method to insulate a mobile home roof being that there is barely any space for insulation at the outside edge for any insulation worth a damn.
Would insulation the ceiling with 2" ridged foam and putting a powered vent like this one at the peak in each room drawing the warm air out before it turns into water?

Is a vapor barrier even going to help?

Thank you very much,

Scott