Noises between walls

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Deb

Noises between walls

Post by Deb » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm having a problem with a knocking noise coming from between my kitchen/bedroom wall. There is no plumbing, etc. on this wall. It only happens at night...I'm thinking it may be a critter, but I've looked around the perimeter of my house and can't see where one could have gotten under. It seems too loud for mice. Is there anything else that might account for this nusance? If I have someone go under the house in search of, is there a protective wrap or something that would need to be cut, and if so, would disturbing this wrap cause moisture problems in the future? I'm beginning to think I have a knocking spirit:) Any help would be appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Re: Noises between walls

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:36 pm

There could be an animal living in the wall that ha gotten in but it would be difficult for anything to get into the wall from below unless it came through a hole in the floor. Mice (and other things) find their way into framed building walls from inside the home or outside.

1 - Have you lactated exactly where the sound is coming from ?

2 - How do you know there is no plumbing in that wall?

3 - Is it possible that there is a plumbing vent line in that wall that vents through the roof? These pipes can come loose during shipping or if hit by a falling branch or anything in a wind storm.

4 - Have you Checked your Heat/Air Duct to see if it is loose and expanding or contracting.

Read some of the items in our article library.

About locating an animal that has entered through the bottom of your home - What is that bad smell & how do I get rid of it ?

Check to see if you have any loose skirting or exterior siding - See VIDEO: Vinyl Siding Repair

Your home could be settling - The most frequent problem with manufactured housing

Let us know what you find
David Oxhandler
[email protected]