FLEETWOOD HOMES

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
klondike

FLEETWOOD HOMES

Post by klondike » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:20 pm

I bought a manufactured home up in the Calif mountains in Aug 2005. There are aprox 200 Fleetwood homes in a 55+ park. The scenery and the people are spectacular the homes are NOT. Almost everyone in this place agrees that Fleetwood does not build a quality home anymore.. People who bought here 5 years ago are still waiting to get their homes fixed. Let me tell you about some of the stuff I have found in my Fleetwood home. The door frame into the master bedroom was 1.5" higher on one side than the other. Of the dual sinks in the master bathroom one is .5" closer to the front than the other. The toilet was mounted so close to the wall that the tank lid has actually dug into the wall and squeaks when walking across the floor. The glass shower door is so thin it continues to vibrate against the backstop after you shut it. I went to change the face plate on a wall outlet and found a yellow wire nut jammed between the wall and the plastic receptacle box causing it to be pushed almost into the receptable. The doors on some of the rooms are 2-3 inches off the floor. Baseboards are primed but not paited. 1/4" gaps between the baseboard and the door frame. I have a toilet blue assembly that adds the blue to the toilet bowl on flushing so that the watercontrol valve is not affected. I have used this on four other toilets in the house I had for 27 years and both of the toilets in Fleetwoods home. The toilet in the guest bathroom allowed the blue to soak into the bowl because of a poor glazing job. I was told by Fleetwood that they were not guarenteed against staining. Looks like they were probably made in china. Fleetwood uses 1/2 particle board floors. Squeaks have not stopped since 3 weeks after we moved in. Everytime they fix one another appears close by. The park designers have decided that they are no longer going to use Fleetwood because of their lack of commitment to their products. To bad they didn't do that 6 years ago when they started bringing in homes. If I can save just one person the unhappyness they will go through buying a Fleetwood home,then this post will be worth while. Don't take my word for it, seek out people who have bought Fleetwood homes in the last two years and see what they think of their quality house. By the way the stuff I listed is only a fraction of what I found. It may cost you a little more to buy a 5* Karstan or Silvercrest home but you will see the value. Fleetwood structual guarentee has shrunk to 1 year while Karstans has balloed to 10 years. Need I say more