Old mobile home underbelly and insulation replacement

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Fishfemme

Old mobile home underbelly and insulation replacement

Post by Fishfemme » Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:05 am

I live in a 1976 built double wide mobile home. The insulation under the home was falling out everywhere.
I have a handyman working on replacing the insulation and vapor barrier.
He has used rolls of paper backed insulation and tyvek as the vapor barrier. The tape he used to seal the perimeter of the mobile home is falling off. Some of the Staples he used are loose and come out easily.

I don't know now if he knows what he is doing.He said he would fix the loose tape. Said maybe he needs " to sand" the perimeter (??)
Hopefully the staples and tape are firm on the interior of the project.

I have lost some faith in him now.

Is what I am describing common ? Is tyvek okay as vapor barrier?
How should the perimeter of the home be prepared for the tape to stick ?

I am having to have the skirting replaced and the skirting pro has been waiting for weeks now to finish the project due to one handyman agreeing to do the job and then putting me off for three weeks before telling me that he is passing it on to this new fellow.

I realize this is a bitch of a job to tackle.

I'm concerned about the tape being solidly affixed and secure staples and whether tyvek would pass inspection were I to sell my place some day.

trufflethumbsdown

Re: Old mobile home underbelly and insulation replacement

Post by trufflethumbsdown » Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:25 pm

Fishfemme wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:05 am I live in a 1976 built double wide mobile home. The insulation under the home was falling out everywhere.
I have a handyman working on replacing the insulation and vapor barrier.
He has used rolls of paper backed insulation and tyvek as the vapor barrier. The tape he used to seal the perimeter of the mobile home is falling off. Some of the Staples he used are loose and come out easily.

I don't know now if he knows what he is doing.He said he would fix the loose tape. Said maybe he needs " to sand" the perimeter (??)
Hopefully the staples and tape are firm on the interior of the project.

I have lost some faith in him now.

Is what I am describing common ? Is tyvek okay as vapor barrier?
How should the perimeter of the home be prepared for the tape to stick ?

I am having to have the skirting replaced and the skirting pro has been waiting for weeks now to finish the project due to one handyman agreeing to do the job and then putting me off for three weeks before telling me that he is passing it on to this new fellow.

I realize this is a bitch of a job to tackle.snow rider

I'm concerned about the tape being solidly affixed and secure staples and whether tyvek would pass inspection were I to sell my place some day.
Review Building Codes:
Check local building codes for specific requirements regarding insulation and vapor barriers. This will ensure that the work being done meets the standards required for future inspections.
Consider a Second Opinion:
Given your concerns, it might be worth getting a second opinion from a professional with experience in mobile home insulation. They can provide guidance on whether the current materials and methods are suitable.
Supervise the Work:
Ensure the handyman follows best practices for installation. This includes using the right materials, ensuring secure fastening, and properly sealing all edges.
Documentation:
Keep detailed records of the work being done, including materials used and installation methods. This will be useful for future reference and when selling your home.
While the project may seem daunting, ensuring it’s done correctly will save you from future problems. If the current handyman continues to perform poorly, it might be best to find a more qualified professional to complete the job. Proper insulation and vapor barrier installation are critical for the health and efficiency of your home.