title transfer nightmare

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

mcuellar82

title transfer nightmare

Post by mcuellar82 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:01 pm

My husband purchased a used 1984 duke mobile home from capital first realty in Aug 2010. It was paid off in oct 2010. we reside in Illinois, needless to say, the mhp was unable to locate the title for six months. we get the title and go to the secretary of state only to be told that we can not transfer the title because the owner listed on the tittle signed either their maiden name or married name. we were given an affidative form that needs to be filled out by the title holder. i have no way of locating this person. the previous owners of the mobile home never transferred the title probably because they had the same prob i'm having. the mobile home park was given the trailer as form of payment for past due lot rent.the mobile home park told me i need to resolve the title issue since they credited our acct the title transfer fees and taxes that we were charged when we purchased the trailer. which they did without consulting us.My main reason for wanting the title was because our coleman furnace broke in dec 2010 Ceda, was willing to replace it free of charge since we have 3 kids. I have not been able to receive any assitance thru ceda's weatherization program since we don't have the title in our name. please help

rmurray

Re: title transfer nightmare

Post by rmurray » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Every state has a license authority that give the dealer a licence. Most states REQUIRE a dealer to produce title within a short period of time..The park is a dealer and MUST live with the laws of ILL. It IS their job to produce a marketable title. Your title office should be able to enlighten you to the specific dealer laws in your state and your rights as a consumer..Most likely you will have to file a complaint with the license authority covering the parks sales license..

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am

MH Title issues in your state are handled by:

Office of the Secretary of State
Vehicle Records Processing Division
501 S. 2nd. St., Room 424
Springfield, IL 62756-6666

Call toll-free in Illinois (800) 252-8980 Chicago (312) 793-1010; or Springfield (217) 782-6306.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

family home

Post by family home » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:13 am

Hello. We reside in Oxford Michigan. My daughter was in a horrible situation w/her children and asked me to move in and help her because her boyfriend wouldnt work or do anything, with alarm i moved in for my daughter and my grandkids. We moved in and 5 months later he said he was going to work which was funny, and never returned nor do we know where he's at. His name is listed first on the deed then my daughter, and the lease has my daughters name. Since he stated he didnt give a rat's bum about the home, and its my daughter, grandkids and me and a man we take care of has a form of cancer, and not having good credit, but pay on time every month, is there a way for us to get him off the deed so we no longer fear him returning on day, or in other words my payments would be paying off his responsability. I dont mind paying it. I am on disablity and so is the man in the house. Together we bring in alittle over 1,500 and we've been making all the bills just fine. My daughter is only 27 and she's scared and so am i. What do we do, lease is up, and i want to know what i should do when i pay the mobile home payment and lease in August, and putting my name on the lease as well.
Please help us. I'm scared for the grandkids. email address is:
[email protected] is where you can catch me quickest. Much obliged in advance for your time and help.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 am

If your on leased land there is no dead. There should be a title for the home that was issued by your state Dept of Motor Vehicles.

If the names on the title have the word "and" between them the home is jointly owned and It will not be easy to take a registered owners name off of a title. If there is an "or" between the owners name each owner owned the home and in most states can sign the title for resales or owner name changes.

If you have a loan on the home it is likely you will need the agreement of the lender to make any changes if you don't want them to demand full payment. Don't just let it ride. You need to get this fixed. If you dont you could pay off the home over years to find that the former boyfriend still has ownership control.

Try your local legal aid office. Each state has different rules and regulations and you need serious legal advice.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]