sagging ceiling panels

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
bulkhead_709

sagging ceiling panels

Post by bulkhead_709 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:37 am

Hi, I am looking for a repair solution for some sagging ceiling panels in a older mobile home. The sags are not all that extreme... around 1/4" over 16 inches when I put a straight edge to them. I drilled some small exploratory holes and pulled out some insulation but didn't see anything out of the ordinary ( these I will patch up like nothing ever happened). The effected panels are directly below the roof vents. Seals around the roof vents appear to be just fine.

I have read about the water fix but was thinking about injecting some sort of glue or water with a large gauge needle into the material and then using the 2x4 plywood jacking system and hope it would hold.

I have a high efficiency furnace/and use a 3m filter and disconnect a wire which basically turns the furnace into a air cleaner. I'm thinking since the blower is quite powerful... I'm drawing moist air through the vents. I live in BC and it tends to rain/moist air allot in this neck of the woods.

Any ideas?

David Oxhandler

Re: sagging ceiling panels

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 am

Sounds like you have some home repair skills, so this should not be a huge problem to correct. I have never heard of injecting glue into the panels. I'm afraid you may just make the problem worse by increasing the weight of the panels. I would also expect the glue to discolor the ceiling and possibly make it difficult to paint over

As you mentioned, very slight sags can be corrected by wetting the panel with a spray bottle, pushing up and holding for several days. This has worked very well for me several times. But not every time. This depends on how much sag, the composition of the ceiling panels and the spacing of the truss-rafters. While there is no guarantee that it will work in your situation it is the easiest solution, so I would try it first.

For the best alternative recommendations read Manufactured Home Ceilings - Repairing or Rebuilding? in our article archive. It is written by Mark Bower the author of "The Manual for Manufactured/Mobile Home Repair and Upgrade" and offers several solutions.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

bulkhead_709

Post by bulkhead_709 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks David... I'm trying one panel right now and puting in a 1/4" pre-camber into the panel. Now just wait and see.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:32 am

I will be interested to learn if the camber remains in the panel or eventually relaxes to a level appearance. Please come back and let us know.

***A camber in is an upward curvature intended to compensate for deflection due to loading
David Oxhandler
[email protected]