painting over prewallpapered sheetrock

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Jenney

painting over prewallpapered sheetrock

Post by Jenney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 am

What is the best method to use to paint over wallpapered sheetrock. I am just getting started on remodeling my kitchen. The wallpaper was applied at the factory and there is no way that I am going to peel this off. I want to paint but there are so many different types of primers out there, what is the best one to use that will not give me problems later on?

Susan

Re: painting over prewallpapered sheetrock

Post by Susan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:42 am

We've painted many rooms in our home and didn't even use a primer. Some people had told us that we should and others said it didn't really matter. In fact I'm painting my kitchen as we speek and all we've really made sure of is to put 2 coats on, as to make sure you can't see the wallpaper through the paint.

After we painted our living room, it sure looked great and really gave it a lift in color and style!

lauram

Post by lauram » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:10 am

Susan, what type of paint did you use and other than cleaning the walls was there any other prep?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:16 am

Some of the higher end builders used vinyl coated pre-wallpapered sheetrock. In its day it was a great stride forward from the use of wood paneling, towards better looking interiors and safer homes. The idea of the vinyl was to protect the wall from any stains sticking, Which is why it is very difficult to get paint to hang on the vinyl. After a short time just aboout any amount of paint will chip off. You can remove the vinyl coat by lightly sanding the wall. Skim and smooth the surface with conventional drywall mud techniques, Before you put your final paint on the wall use a higth quality primer paint. From that pont forward you will be able to paint your walls in any conventional way you desire. We always remove the bat trim between each panel and tape/mud the joints. This gives you a fully finished conventional drywall surface and looks great. We recently started to add texture to the walls using a rented spray gun. This additinnla step make the job a lot easier, as you dont have to skim the wall to a perfect smooth finish. It gives the walls the exact look of the newst homes being built today and ultimalty increases the eye appeal and resale value of just about any home If your looking for a book that covers all facets of manufactured home repair, take a look at The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade As you would expect from the title, The repair and upgrade techniques described in this manual are specific to manufactured homes. This book will answer almost every question on manufactured home repair that we have ever heard. Not only does this book show you how to repair and maintain your home, but also great methods for upgrading it. Available in print version and now also in e-book version for instant download.David Oxhandler mailto:[email protected] THE MANUFACTURED HOUSING GLOBAL NETWORK www.MobileHome.com www.ManufacturedHousingBookStore.com www.ManufacturedHousingNews.com www.ManufacturedHomeCredit.com www.MobileHomeInsuranceQuote.com www.MobileHomeOwners.org www.MFDhousing.com ...and many more ! Web Site Development by: Express Network Solutions PO Box 61, Candler, FL 32111 Toll Free 888 304 2333
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

lilbit

Post by lilbit » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:24 pm

we just used primer and 2 coats of kiltz brand paint form walamrt. we had bad experiences for lowes paint. we talked to several other people whom had issues too!!