Heat Pump Recommendations?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

gcs03

Heat Pump Recommendations?

Post by gcs03 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Have recently purchased a really nice Palm Harbor home but have questions about the heat pump. One PH dealer seems to put Intertherm units in, another puts in Goodman. Does anyone have any recommendations or issues with either? The Goodman said both were "about the same" but that the Goodman has a 10 year versus a 5 year warrenty. There seem to be more questions online about Goodman maintenence, but I don't know if that is necessasarily a good or bad thing. The price seems to be about the same, so I'm looking for suggestions from the group.

Thanks for any reccomendations.

Gary McLean
Sandy, Oregon

admin

Re: Heat Pump Recommendations?

Post by admin » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 am

Intertherm has been marketing to the manufactured housing industry for many years and is very popular with retailers. I have one on my home for a few years and have had very little in the way of problems. On the other hand, a ten year warranty sounds excellent. Most Air units are obsolete after ten years as every year they come out with better and better energy efficiency in the new units.

Check out the heating and cooling web section of Mobile Home Repair.com.. Whether you are searching for an AC part, tips and information on repairs and maintenance or help with troubleshooting, it is the best source online for manufactured housing heating and cooling research.
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]

rbonnie

Post by rbonnie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:49 am

Both of these manufacturers are well known in the industry, the important thing is a competent installation company, and one that will be around if service is necessary. Some installers utilize equipment that does not match properly, and results in poor efficiency. This will mean that a unit may not provide the amount of heating or cooling that it is rated for.
Roy T. Bonney

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:41 pm

Palm Harbor uses mostly Intertherm air handling equipment most Palm Harbor company stores match the cooling equipment to the unit built into the home...Usually Intertherm...This lady might want to call the energy engineer at the Palm Harbor plant building her home and ask his/her advice..

ruth beall

Post by ruth beall » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:01 am

We have a Jacobson manuf. home and the Carrier that was installed when we bought the home needs to be replaced. It is a down draft unit since we live in Florida and it ha to be at a certain height due to flood plain. We have had Trane, Carrier, American Standard and Rheem give us the sales pitch and price. The prices range from $5700 - $7200 for the Trane. All seem to offer the same warranty. In my travels through the internet I did come across the ad for a Goodman. Since I never heard of it and now I am wondering if this unit might really be the one for us since the warranty is better. Another question is the difference between a heat pump and a conventional downdraft central unit. On the central west coast of Florida and at our age we use the air more than the heat. Can anyone advise us in this delema? [email protected]

rbonnie

Post by rbonnie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:27 pm

It is interesting to note that none of the three you contacted specialize in manufactured housing. Check in your yellow pages for dealers that sell Intertherm or Miller, the parent company being Nordyne, or for Evcon or Coleman, the parent company being Coleman. Both of these built units made specifically for manufactured housing. Heat pump vs Air conditioner= The air conditioning side of a heat pump is not as efficient as air only. Air only does not give you the heat savings of a heat pump. The trade off is your choice. In the colder climates where heat is the big concern, the heat pump is more popular. In the Florida area, the split system air conditioner is the preferred choice.
Roy T. Bonney