Re-leveling a double wide home

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Bobbi

Re-leveling a double wide home

Post by Bobbi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:17 pm

I think my 1974 double wide needs re-leveling, as two doors don't stay open and the floor squeaks in one place.

Can someone tell me if $375 (a quote I have from a local repairman) seems fair?

Also, is there any risk to the home to have it re-leveled? I mean, can the joined parts come apart, etc? Or can the windows and other doors, which all work very nicely now, be messed up afterwards?

And does one have to move out for a while when it's done?

Thank you for any advice.

Tom

Re: Re-leveling a double wide home

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi, that price is very very low for a double wide. An average price would be in the $600-$700 price range. In fact thats the going rate for a single wide in most areas. If its been a very long time since the last relevel and any changes were made to the walls, floors, etc there could be some problems, but they should be fixable. Just make absolutely sure whoever does this uses a water level to do the job. There are what we call Jobbers out there who will attempt to use a hand level which is not acceptable. Tom

Billy Smith

Post by Billy Smith » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:05 pm

The price is quoted way to low. As Tom (earlier) stated, the range should be between $600 - $750. Make sure that whomever you talk to is a licensed set-up contractor and that either a water level or a laser level is used to re-level your home. As you have a double-wide, each side has to be leveled independently. This is not a problem, generally, unless you have extremely soft soil under certain piles/stands under your home. If all is well, no problem re-leveling. Good Luck!

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:44 am

Do I have to move out while a re-leveling is done?
Is furniture moved, etc?

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:47 pm

Bobbi, no to both questions. Tom

james fester

Post by james fester » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:14 am

Can I safely re-level my doublewide home myself or is this a job best left to to the pro's?

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:58 am

If it was a single wide I would say yes. DW's are a horse of a different color and takes a pro with experience. Tom

Mobile Home Inspectors

Post by Mobile Home Inspectors » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:23 am

If living in Southern California $375 is a little high for the simple adjustment of piers on a double wide. I've been a licensed mobile home contractor here since 1984 and with no new materials and a simple adjustment to re align a couple of doors. The going price is about $275.
Now if there is "significant" changes in the level of the home, say more than 3/4" on most of the home, or if pier replacement is needed the price could go to $1400.00 (worst case scenario).
Remember to start with two bids, if they are far apart in cost a third bid will be needed to help determine the correct pricing.
Be very wary of contractors who can do the job tomorrow, or prior to the 3 day recision law (in California anyway), or if the price is specially discounted if you buy today.
Greg Filian

John W Daugherty

Post by John W Daugherty » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:11 am

Releveling is sometimes seems like a mystery why some doors or windows won't open, it could be something in the door or window that could be the problem. As in all repairs, seek the simplest least costly solution. $375 could be enough for a simple adjustment. I like the idea of 3 bids, 3 different possible solutions to the same presenting problem.

Best wishes,

Stevie Betz

Post by Stevie Betz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:57 am

I am putting in a new sub-floor. I have a "Gus Guard" Earthquake system under the coach and piers on this very hard plastic pad. should I do the "relevel" after or before the new floors? I also heard somewhere that there is a new law you must now have concrete pads if you are replacing any of the current ones. Anyone else hear that?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Stevie