turning my mobile home into a modular home

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Diana

turning my mobile home into a modular home

Post by Diana » Thu May 27, 2004 1:42 am

I was recently told that there are certain things I can do to upgrade my mobile home to make it a modular home so that it will be considered a single family dwelling. I know I have to replace the wallboard with drywall. I plan on redoing the floors and upgrading with tile and laminate. I plan on replacing my kitchen and both bathrooms with upgraded fixtures that you would use in a regular home. My mobile home already has a tile shingled roof and sideing. I was told I would have to take the siding down to the ground to make it look like a house. I have attachments, 2 porches on the back of the home and I long front porch that extends the length of the home. Can someone give me anymore info on this? Who would I have to contact to find out exactly what I need to do? I live in St Cloud, Florida Thank you

rmurray

Re: turning my mobile home into a modular home

Post by rmurray » Thu May 27, 2004 4:37 am

You have been getting some awful advice...You canNOT change your "mobile home" (you probably have a manufactured home) into a modular...

Your manufactured (mobile) home will always be so...no matter what is on the walls...what is on the roof...what kind of underpinning it has......

Home improvements of the kind you mention are admirable...They should make you more comfortable with your home and make it a better resale item in the future...

If you are ashamed of living in a mobile home...just start calling it what it really is...a manufactured home...OR..better yet..call it just a HOME..

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 27, 2004 6:46 am

We need to backtrack here. What is your purpose in doing this? Making the home more attractive or making the resale value higher? Depending on your county codes, you may be able to do certain things to the home to make it considered real property for resale, if thats your intention you need to contact your county for that information. Tom

trailrider

Post by trailrider » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:11 am

dunno about changing from mobile home to modular either, but I found out I could to register my home in my county in order to call it REAL PROPERTY and file homestead. THIS will bring down taxes!!!!!!!!! the original owner was paying taxes separate due to joint ownership on the land.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should have explained the reasoning behind this. and no Murray, It has nothing to do with being ashamed of living in a mobile home...Hell, I call it a trailer. Anyway, Tom pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was told by a mortgage person that there were certain things I can do to my manufactured home to make it "modular" so that it can be appraised as a single family dwelling. I was told many times that it doesn't matter what I do to my manufactured home, it will depreciate. If it appraises out as a single family dwelling (i was told) than it will be worth more and when I am ready to sell, I can get more out of it. My 2.5 acres, along with my home are already considered real property. I guess I will have to check with the county like Tom said.

much thanks!