PA Mobile Home Park Rights Act 261

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Charlotte

PA Mobile Home Park Rights Act 261

Post by Charlotte » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:45 pm

Does any one know anything about PA's Mobile home park rights act 261. We have found the one and only place to put our new home but they are requiring us to move an abandoned mobile home that is on the lot. According the Act 261 the park cannot charge entrance or exit fees. It also states information regarding the placement or movement of a home but nowhere does it say anything about moving someone else's property so you may put your home in. The park has the title to the home so are they not responsible for the removal? If we move it are we not in a legal issue because we do not hold the title? I have posed some of these questions to the park and they state that if we don't want to do it they will charge us or find someone else to move into that space. We are stuck in a position of having to move pretty quickly and haven't yet obtained approval from the park on our application. I am afraid to bring up too much questioning because there is no where else to go within a 50 mile radius of my husbands work. They have a monopoly and I feel it is wrong but what do we do? Any help is good help. Happy Holidays and thank you.

David Oxhandler

Re: PA Mobile Home Park Rights Act 261

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:57 am

It is apparent that you are very uncomfortable with the park management policies. If your running into frustration before you rent the space and install your home, imagine how you will feel when you come up against park policy AFTER you go to the expense of installing your home. There are hundreds of MH Communities in PA. I would strongly suggest finding another location where your more comfortable with management or find a lot that you can purchase on time, where you will set the policy and standards.

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:29 pm

The park owner if attempting to avoid pulling a permit under the PA Uniform Construction Code. it sounds like he wants you to bear that burden.
While you are correct about the Park Rights Act, it is enforced by the Attorney General, who generally will do nothing to help a consumer such as yourself.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:22 pm

I'm sure that Eugene is correct about the state law... but do you really want to site your home on land where you have to take the landlord to the authorities and force him to treat you right, It seems like you would just be placing yourself and your housing investment in a very uncomfortable position... Dont do business with people that you feel wont treat you fairly.

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:27 pm

I received a response from the Lancaster County District Attorney who is also responsible for enforcing these acts and he states absolutely nothing. Basicly he stated that it is the only space available and that I may be able to negotiate terms. Blah, blah, blah. I have searched by vehicle and by phone for another area but there is none. I personally went to over 40 mobile home communities and called them and another 10 or so on the phone. There is nothing available. I am going to try to work a deal with the park owners to sign the title to me and place the home on one of their vacant single wide lots. I have a person that will take the home and pay for the installation charges as well as rent from them. They will of course have to approve the tenants. I will write it off as a donation and take the tax break if they of course will approve. Other notes on the community owners - they have very stringent rules for set up and their style of living community. I like that. I just think they are monopolizing on the fact there is no other area to move into. Thanks for all your help I will keep you all posted on what response I get from the Attorney General and the Mobile home park owners. Happy Holidays to you all.