Adding on to single wide

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Dave

Adding on to single wide

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:18 pm

I have been considering adding on to my 1998 16x80 home. I have thought about a "florida room" since I'm in florida, and there are lots of folks around here that do that kind of thing. But, last week, I had an idea that I wanted to run by the experts here to see if it could actually work. OK, here goes the crazy idea:
I want to contact the original manufacturer (Fleetwood) and see if I can order just 1/2 of a short double-wide and have it married to the side of my home. I know the roof lines won't mate up but maybe that can be remedied with a new roof system (thinking of using steel roof that looks like spanish tile) and later on, stucco-ing the whole house.
PS. This home will never be moved again.

Am I nuts, or will this actually work?

Danny

Re: Adding on to single wide

Post by Danny » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:25 pm

manufacture's won't built halves....if your not planning on moving it...just build on like any other home...

smm

Post by smm » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:58 pm

Before you build on .. check with your insurance... it can be pretty costly...just so you will have an idea of what it will cost before you do the building.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:17 am

They will not sell you 1/2 of a house...It would not meet the code..

Once in a while you might find 1/2 of a house that an insurance company is selling after damage on a dealer lot or a wreck on the highway..

Before you get too deep into this idea..you should check with your local building inspector...What you suggest might very well not be legal..

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:51 am

Thanks folks! I had heard that putting a stick-built addition would make my insurance go up, in fact a contractor I know did one to his home and his insurance almost tripled! He was told that it was because the addition was not HUD approved. I thought to get around this by adding another section of a manufactured home, guess that is out of the question. I will go ahead and talk to the insurance co. and a county building inspector to see what they suggest I do.

Thanks again!
GO NAVY!!