Replacing Hood Above Stove

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
KareninLV

Replacing Hood Above Stove

Post by KareninLV » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am

We removed it and while searching for a new one I see in the specs it says a 7 inch vent pipe...well ours is 5 inches, is this a mobile home thing or what? I do not want to buy another crappy one, I want a nice Broan stainless steel hood....is there an adapter ring or anything of that nature? Obviously not going to replace the vent pipe all the way through the roof...must be an alternative?

Karen

David Oxhandler

Re: Replacing Hood Above Stove

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm

You can find an upgraded hood at THE MOBILE HOME PARTS STORE
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

BILLY

Post by BILLY » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:47 pm

I too have this same problem, in that I have a Broan #52000 range hood. I am in the process of replacing it with a Broan QS2 stainless steel hood range. It too requires a 7" vent tube.As I work for Lowe's,I have searched our vendors for a 5" to 7" adapter. Haven't had any luck. I'll do a internet search soon,and then go to a sheetmetal shop and have one made to my specs,if I can't locate one online. If I do locate one onlne I will post that information here for others to order. There's more than one way to skin the proverbal cat. It can be done and you don't have to live with the cheap range hood that the manufacturer put in your home or be stuck with a lower quality range hood than you desire.

BILLY

Post by BILLY » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 am

I found it online at AUDUBON PLUMBING SUPPLY CO. 856-547-1603. PART # SH580705 is a 7"to 5" reducer. Cost is $6.37 plus shipping. Hope this helps you. Online look at reducers under Ductwork>reducers Good luck with your project

KareninLV

Post by KareninLV » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks Billy, I went & looked at it, but how do you slip a 5 inch tube over or into a 5 inch tube? There is about 3 inches sticking out below the underide of upper cabinet.... That gismo is so tall & the new hood fits flush to the underside of the cabinet...do you cut off the existing 5 inch duct & then attach the adapter with sheet metal screws or what? Now I am leaning towards a ductless model as this sure is becoming a lot of work....the CS lady at Broan said she has one & it works fine although they recommend vent to outside.
Karen

KareninLV

Post by KareninLV » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Good Job Billy but I don't understand the process. How do you get a 5 inch pipe into a 5 inch pipe?
Karen

BILLY

Post by BILLY » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:45 pm

SHEET METAL CRIMPING PLIERS ARE USED TO SHAPED THE END OF THE SHEETMETAL TO A VERY SLIGHT TAPER ALLOWING THE ENDS TO SLIDE TOGETHER. ASK A SHEETMETAL MAN TO DO THIS... THIS IS A FIVE MINUTE (AT MOST ) JOB OR TRY TO RENT OR BUY THIS TOOL. ANYONE CAN DO THIS WITH THE CRIMPING PLIERS. SORRY I CAN'T BE QUITE AS HELPFUL AS I WAS FINDING THE REDUCER FOR YOU. PLIERS SHOULD BE LESS THAN $25 FOR A PAIR. AND YOU WILL NEED TO SHORTEN UP THE LENGTH OF THE TUBE TO COMPENSATE FOR THE LENGTH OF THE REDUCER. USE SHEET METAL SCREWS OR POP RIVETS TO ASSEMBLE THE REDUCER AND TUBE.

KareninLV

Post by KareninLV » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 pm

We ended up buying a non vented hood..... Broan stainless steel. It works fine & looks great & it was only $63 delivered, no tax or shipping from ABT.com

Karen in LV

KareninLV

Post by KareninLV » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:38 pm

BILLY

Post by BILLY » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Looks Great... Be sure to get charcoal filters to help get rid of the cooking odors.
The ones that came with your new hood may be aluminum, which are for use with vented hoods and won't elimanate food odors. Be Happy and good luck.