MH newbie, need new tub

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
rileysmama

MH newbie, need new tub

Post by rileysmama » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:06 am

I just bought my first home which is a foreclosed 2003 doublewide. The previous occupants trashed it, they attempted to make "textured wall" but it looks horrible. They ripped out and stole every appliance including the bath tub!! they left the island that the tub was sitting in there.

The tub is the island type. Its round and my dad seems to think it was a jacuzzi. My question: we know nothing about this stuff.. how do we find someone who can install this for us. Also, how do we know what type of tub to put in?

rmurray

Re: MH newbie, need new tub

Post by rmurray » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:24 am

Sounds like you bought a real fixer upper..Your first stop should be to the book store here..Sounds like the former owners should have too....

http://manufacturedhousingbookstore.com/

Mark Bower, the owner of Aberdeen Home Repair authors more than 1 help guide..some in video format.

To answer your question directly...You can find plumbers who specialize in bathtubs in your phone book..This job can be done by the homeowner but it is pretty complicated...Bathroom upgrades have gotten very fashionable and prices have gone up with the popularity...

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:28 am

You can find the parts here in the parts store as well...This link will take you to the tub you probably need...

http://www.mobilehomepartsstore.com/Mer ... ry_Code=IP

mannymanbo2

Post by mannymanbo2 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:19 am

To determine if the tub was a jacuzzi, look for an electrical recept in the platform. A jacuzzi would need this plug.

I would make a quick call to the manufacturer and just ask what brand of tub they used. Or go to a dealer that sells that home, they can get you a tub.
Installation is not hard, follow the tub instructions,a couple of screws and one drain line, hot and cold water!

Just add the bubbles!

admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:38 am

Start by reading the free article Replacing a Manufactured Home Bathtub by Mark Bower. "As a general rule, replacing a bathtub is NOT considered a do-it-yourself project -- especially if your changing the type and size of the tub. Changing anything means refiguring the drain lines, vents and waterlines and that can get a bit tricky and frustrating. But if your old tub is cracked or damaged and you simply wish to replace it with the same kind, then the project becomes more manageable."

If you need additional skills instruction try mark's book that covers all facets of manufactured home repair The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade

As you would expect from the title, The repair and upgrade techniques described in this manual are specific to manufactured homes. This book will answer almost every question on manufactured home repair that we have ever heard. Not only does this book show you how to repair and maintain your home, but also great methods for upgrading it.

It would be a good idea to contact the factory where the home was built to get the exact make and model of the tub originally installed so that your replacement will be very easy. They may even be able to sell you a replacement. If not you can Order the parts you need from the on-line manufactured home parts store.
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]