Cresdek flooring

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Connie

Cresdek flooring

Post by Connie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:35 pm

We just bought a Silvercrest MH (first time homebuyer). We were talked out of a plywood floor by the dealer because he said that Credek flooring has less seams and holds less water, and buckles less than plywood. Now we want to put hardwood - oak - floors over this Cresdek flooring and the installers are saying we can't do it, even though our MH is bolted to a cement foundation, just like a regular home would be. They won't nail to Cresdek. Does anyone know if we are limited to "floating" wood floors?

jgn

Re: Cresdek flooring

Post by jgn » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:24 am

There is another option but and it is not that expensive but takes time. You can nail runners diagonal to the floor joists and nail the flooring to it. This makes a great floor because you have a barrier between the subfloor and the hardwood plus you can level any area that is not. The disadvantage is you raise the floor the height of the runners and that means replacing the baseboard and possibly cutting down doors. On the other hand a good quality floating floor looks nice also. Stay away from the really cheap stuff because you cannot refinish it in the future because there is not enough hardwood in it.

Danny

Post by Danny » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:39 pm

Connie, unfortunately your sales rep. lied to you "Cresdeck" is a fancy name for particle board.....floating floors are good in my opinion ..I have it in my kitchen, entrance hall,and dining room , only thing I wish it was a lighter color...

HILARY

Post by HILARY » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:42 am

I would like to put laminated linolium tiles down, and i might have a problem with that. they say that we might need to put a subfloor down,
i'm really unhappy, i wanted to put ceramic tile down and they said i cant. i have dogs and they sometime have accidents and the carpet isn't helping.

jgn

Post by jgn » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:31 am

The problem with particleboard flooring is it absorbs moisture and most adhesives, espically thin set for ceramic tile, have a water of liquid base. Once the floor absorbs the moisture it will swell and be a mess. If you want to put ceramic down you can lay wonder board first and the tile on tip of it. It is a cement based board that is not difficult to work with but it will rraise your floor some which can cause problems with doors. Have you thought about a floating laminated floor, no glue and no need for a sub floor.