Quality?

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Triva

Quality?

Post by Triva » Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:53 pm

We have been recently looking at a foreclosed 1998 American Homestar Benchmark Model HS780. It is very clean and apppears in excellant condition.
Some features:
4 BR/ 3 bath
2 living areas, one with fireplace
parants retreat
utility room has folding table and sink
sliding glass door off family room
one bathroom has Jack and Jill feature and skylight
vinyl siding and storm tinted windows
front door has etched looking glass and the cabinets and woodwork appear solid & sturdy.
Appliances included are clean and appear functional and the broker states no problems with the ac unit or water heater..
size is 2075 ft 28X80
new carpeting, no obvious signs of structure abnormalities or damage.
The price they are asking sounds pretty reasonable, about 25,000 to 30,000 less than what it cost new. We would be assuming whats left on the original loan.
I'm wondering if the quality of this home is good, I know the company is having serious problems, how will that effect us if we purchase? Also we were going to put it in a park for now, until we can save for some nice land. We've looked at land/home packages before, but did'nt like the quality of the tracts they were selling. Would there be damage from multiple moves? Could you give me some thoughts on this? It's a very big decision, we don't want to be hasty, but the price is within our budget and it's a very pretty house. Thank you for any advice you could give. This forum is a lifesaver for those of us who know little and don't want to be thrown in the swamp!

nhmobilehomes

RE: Quality?

Post by nhmobilehomes » Wed Feb 07, 2001 6:43 pm

Hey i was just surfing the pages and found the web site you are on. As a 15 year veteran in the buisnes i can tell you the only truth ther is. For one yes the American Homestar company has filed for chapter 11 {Protection}
This is not a bad thing for you. the factory warranty is expired and chances are there is no structural warranty still in existance. You should ask the broker or dealer you are going thru. DONT believe it till its in writing and get it in writing befor you sign any thing. You should also no that this home might qualify for a extended warranty, check into that also it could be added security.
And the best advice i can give you is have a Home inspection done by a private company.Chances are this home is a dealer by back the first owner did not pay for it find out all you can about this owner. make contact.
Let me know how it turns out.

Teganz1

RE: Quality?

Post by Teganz1 » Fri Feb 09, 2001 1:05 pm

Thank you very much for your post!!! It was very informative and definitly something I did'nt know! I will definitly take your advice and check with the broker per the warranties and have it put in writing. I did'nt know he could provide me with the previous owners name, thats an excellant idea and I would love to talk to them about the house. The home inspection is also an excellant idea, I wonder what one costs? It would sure put me more at ease with the whole situation. We are still in the approval process at present and awaiting to hear whether we are "worthy" or not. We would like to negotiate the price, I wonder if we would have any luck getting the bank to come down a little. I don't think they have customers lined out the door presently...but who knows? LOL...Thanks again...I'll keep a frequent check on this forum, feel free to comment all you like! Thanks Triva