Guide to be updated.

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
flyinghigh

Guide to be updated.

Post by flyinghigh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:48 am

I bought the Grissim Ratings Guide book at the suggestion of those in this forum.

I actually bought both of his books (buyers guide and ratings guide) in my quest for a MH here in SD. In reading the book it states that Friendship homes are built by Fairmont Homes in their single large factory in IN. It says the because all the homes are built at this single location, they are better able to maintain quality control.

After speaking with John today, we determined that some of their HUD homes are in fact built in Monti Video MN and I am going to tour that factory tommorrow.

John will be updating his guide soon to reflect this new information.

John has been extremely responsive and helpful regarding this matter and I recommend his books and services highly to all prospective buyers.

John Grissim

Re: Guide is incorrect

Post by John Grissim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Dear Flying High,

Thanks for your post, and for pointing out an error in the Fairmont listing in my Ratings Guide. You are certainly right to wonder about the validity of the rest of the book given your discovery in this particular listing.

I take great pains to make sure that every listing is accurate, and whenever errors of fact are reported to me (such as your posting on this forum), I include their corrrection in the Ratings Guide Revisions & Updates file that I periodically post on the Grissim Guides website for owners of the Ratings Guide to download and print for their use.

I'm preparing the latest update which will be posted next week, and I will certainly include a revision to the Fairmont listing accordingly.

I was curious to learn how the mistake you reported got into the Fairmont listing,so I called Fairmont within the past hour and chatted with my contact there (the person I originally interviewed for the listing there has since retired).

She confirmed that, yes, there is a model line called the Friendship home that is built at the large Fairmont factory in Napanee, IN, but it's actually a modular home, and should not to be confused with the Friendship Home HUD brand to which you refer, and which is built by a separate company, Friendship Homes of Minnesota, in Montevideo, MN. Well, bless 'em, it IS confusing to me, and certainly to my readers. So this would appear to be the source of the mix up.

So, yes, the current Fairmont listing is confusing. And although Friendship Homes of MN is a subsidiary company owned by Fairmont Homes, I think it should properly be given its own listing to avoid any confusion going forward. Accordingly, I'm planning to follow up with research in the next few days to do just that.

Please accept my apologies for the error. I sincerely hope it has not made your search for a home more difficult.

I have made a note to email you personally a copy of the Ratings Guide Updates & Revisions as soon as it's ready to post, hopefully before the end of next week. I'll also post a note here as soon as the updates are available.

Over the years the buyers of my two consumer guides have been wonderfully helpful with their feedback and suggestions, and I encourage everyone who buys my guides to alert me to any errors, either directly to me or on this very useful forum. I'm committed to providing the very best, most accurate and up to date information and advice to you the consumer.

Thanks again and best wishes,

John Grissim, author
The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes & Land and
The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes