floors

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

paintnut

floors

Post by paintnut » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am

I have a fleetwood 1996 14x80 which I love, on my own lot. i have upgraded a lot, like new sinks, covered deck, centrala/c. Now i want to remove the carpet and put in new flooring and upgrade my kitchen cabinets Just wondering how much money i should put into this house. I plan on staying in it. They have the new vinyl flooing that looks like wood, but i don't know if i should go with a better product, after all it is vinyl,like pergo. The kitchen would be just some better cabinets and new counters, same lay out, so the cost would not be atronomical. Please give me some opinions. Thanks

rmurray

Re: floors

Post by rmurray » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 am

Since you are not renovating to resell, only you can decide what is perfect for you. Either choice is going to take work and you will want to make the one that suits your taste and pocketbook. By the way Pergo is not vinyl, it is a vinyl covered wood product and requires completely different installation process than traditional vinyl floor covering.

David Oxhandler

Re: floors

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Renovations can be very expensive today. I just finished some updates to my old double wide. I did put down the vinyl that has the look and texture of wood and have been very please with the results.

The product comes in 3 inch wide "planks" with a self adhesive back. It was easy to install and has worn well so far. The trick is to apply the vinyl to a clean smooth surface. Rent a hundred pound or more roller for a few days to be sure the vinyl is really married to the decking.

We tried some of the Pergo products in rentals and were very disappointed. Places where moisture hit the floor started to appear warped and had to be replaced early. In reality the warping was the particleboard base of the flooring reacting much the same way as older MH floor sheeting.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]