To our new and returning members. We are in the process of migrating the forums to a completely new platform
please pardon our dust as we migrate posts. Some pages may look strange as we complete the migration process.

The Manufactured Housing Forums

What do you want to know about manufactured homes?
The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Register Login

Wall insulation

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Post a reply
4 postsPage 1 of 1

Wall insulation

Postby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 am

Putting in new insulation in walls . Do I need a vapor retarder on the inside ( Visqueen ) if I use paper faced insulation ? Would it hurt to have both ? Live in central Florida .
davebones offline

Re: Wall insulation

Postby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:16 am

Central Florida is the humidity capital of the world. I assume that yours is an older home. Most of the older homes in Florida were built reasonably tight. Older homes were designed to "breath" I would not add anything that could cause moisture to be retained inside the walls as you could be looking a mold problems down the line.

If your looking for the best method to add insulation see the VIDEO: Blowing Insulation Into the Sidewall of a Mobile Home. This footage demonstrates how insulation is blown into the sidewall of a manufactured home as an energy conservation measure done by the U.S. Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]
David Oxhandler offline

Postby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 am

Being this is a older mobile I have already took the old paneling and the insulation out . I am looking at putting new insulation and drywall back up . Talking with various people I am getting different opinions about this vapor barrier !
davebones offline

Postby » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:49 am

The vapor barrier goes on the warm side of the insulation. In Florida, that would be the outside. Since you removed the paneling rather than the siding, I would put the kraft paper outward. it is nearly impossible to use plastic effectively from inside when you want it on the outside. It is never a good idea to use both plastic and kraft back together, one or the other.
trmimo offline

Post a reply
4 postsPage 1 of 1