windows in livingroom

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

chris1361

windows in livingroom

Post by chris1361 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:36 am

I have a Redman 1990 24x52 I have 2 windows in the livingroom, that I would like to change out and put 1 big bay window in. Their is a space between the windows that measures maybe 5inches. Is this possible to do, any input is greatly appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Re: windows in livingroom

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Yes you can do this... you will need to install a header that spans the entire opening that will offer enough support to hold up the wall and roof stress above the new enlarged window opening. Because a bay window projects out, it is usually capped with its own small roof or covering. The most critical part of adding a bay window to any structure is to prevent it from leaking. This is a job that is best left to an experience handyman or window contractor.

Back in the mid-15th century, when the term 'bay window' first came into being, these windows took the shapes of rectangular, polygonal or semicircular forms.

Today, a curving series of windows is called a bow window. Major window manufacturers sell both bay and bow windows as ready-to-install, assembled units made from wood, vinyl and aluminum

Source: http://www.hometips.com/articles/homenc ... indow.html
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Re: windows in livingroom

Post by trmimo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:11 am

You also need to add piers under the home at each end of the new span to support the load of the header.