Energy Audit

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

rfporzio

Energy Audit

Post by rfporzio » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:31 pm

In a few short weeks I have elected to have an energy audit performed on my five year old structure built manufactured home here in Vermont. I thought it would be nice to see how my house is performing from an energy savings stand point and also to be alerted to any areas that I may be able to improve upon. My main issue would be if they found any insulation faults during manufacturing that were overlooked during construction and if I would have any recourse so late in home ownership.

admin

Re: Energy Audit

Post by admin » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:15 pm

I would guess that your warranty has probably expired after five years... After 5 year the insulation in any home could conceivably shift, the amount of shift would depend on the type of insulation, how well it was installed and how your home was handled during transport and set up.

Being sure that the Repair and maintenance of your home is kept up to date and done correctly will add years of use to the structure. It is relatively inexpensive to blow additional insulation into the walls of any framed home. Stop in at your local Lowes or Home Depot. If you purchase a minimum amount of insulation many stores will let you have you the machine at no cost for a day to blow it into the walls or ceiling.
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]

mannymanbo2

Post by mannymanbo2 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:20 am

David,
I hate to disagree, but the insulation in any home, if installed properly, should never shift.
This sounds like the typical mobile home mentallity that hides behind warranty instead of standing behind the quality of the home.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:10 pm

We're interstead in purchasing a home tht's built by SilverCrest, Woodland, Ca. We're upgrading our insulation from a Zone 11 to Zone 111. They've also shared that a thin board is applied (my cost) directly next to the drywall and this would help in keeping the drywall from waving. I don't know if this is over kill? I've lived in a mobile home for ten years however I'm purchasing John's books to help us each step and for sure will have our lawyer go through the contract so that we can't say "we had not done our homework". We're interstead in any comments concerning experiences with SilverCrest. Thanks for all your help, Ryane
Ryane

mannymanbo2

Post by mannymanbo2 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:09 pm

I think they are talking about luan plywood. it is 1/4 thick and often used to stiffen walls.
I never heard of this being done throughout an entire home.
I would prefer wall studs at 16' on center to limit any warping of the wall board.